free website stats program DBW Intermediate High Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

DBW Intermediate High Idle

glider.

BOT Machine
Posted by "Retrop"...

When I got my 2009 several years ago, I was bothered by the same problem if an intermittent high idle speed. I never saw 4000 rpms but I did see 2000 rpms fairly regularly. It was dangerous! When I complained to the service manager he said he was stumped, didn't understand at all. Then I discovered the service bulletin released by the MOCO which addressed the problem of high idle on 2008 and 2009 bikes. They knew about it and issued a service bulletin to address it. Unfortunately most technicians don't take the time to review the bulletins which are posted on their private website. They no longer send them a paper copy, they have to look them up on their own.

Anyway, the problem stems from the fact that the ECM remembers the last 4 times that the bike was turned off. If at any occasion the bike was not idled down to normal idle of 1000 RPMs +-50 it remembers this and is buffered into the memory. Not only will it do a fast idle at start up, but sometimes it does a fast idle long after it has been running. The fast idle situation only manifests itself when slowing down, never at speed. It might be doing it but you are not aware of it until you slow down.

The fix for this is to perform a "reset". With the "kill switch" on the handlebars set to the run position turn the big ignition switch to the run position for 10 seconds and then turn it off and count for another 10 seconds. Do this for a total of 4 times to reset the systems memory. Then in the future do not blip the throttle before shutting the bike off and be real cautious that you do not twist the throttle when making a turn at slow speed (like turning into a gas pump). For what it is worth I always let the bike return to a normal idle for about 15 seconds before shutting it off. This allows the bikes computer to clean up any housekeeping before it shuts off. Sometime this reset will work for 6 months and then all of a sudden you have to do it again. Luckily the fix is easy and cheap.

Here's some info on the earlier non DBW issues of high idles...

Intermittent High Idle - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the info, Mr. Data. As these bikes getting more computerized, they get more temperamental. They start better and run good most of the time, so I guess it's a good trade off. I had a 60's HD that I never could get the throttle, spark set right to get it kick started. Most of the time, I parked it on a hill by the house so I could just roll it down the hill to start it. So, I'm much happier with my 09.

Back