free website stats program Daytona Heat made horn sound funny | Harley Davidson Forums

Daytona Heat made horn sound funny

Mavagrand

last weekend at Daytona, stuck in traffic, blazing hot. Knucklehead in front of me drift over into my lane, I hit the horn button and it sounds like an anemic moped with a sinus infection. seriously lame. to make it worse the guy heard it, turned around and laughed. I know the bike was hot and I know when I had this issue with my 06 road king, it turned out to be my regulator was failing. Could I be having a regulator issue? or could this just be that everything on the bike was hot and i shuoldn't worry about it?

The harley stock horns are effected by heat. Years back they had relocation kits for some models that were factory mounted behind the rear cylinder (FXDWG) and that cured the problems with that model. Now they are pretty much all mounted on the same side mid way under the tank. There is an adjustment screw on most of them to tweak it just a bit but you should check the out put of your charging system just to be sure.

The horn is a metal thin spring disc diaphram and electro-magnetic activated device, and likely has an adjustment screw that needs to be adjusted maybe 5 degrees or so left or right...then use fingernail polish to lock the screw back down. Before you adjust, try to not disturb OEM setting too much or diaphram will stick or sound even softer. Yeah, and try to wear earplugs and do it at a decent hour...

I didn't explain properly in my original post. after i started moving again , the horn sounds fine..it was probably the heat, thank you glider, again.

I have a problem with my horn. My bike has the aluminator series horn cover on it and my horn ALWAYS sounds like a sick moose!! Today I took the chrome cover off and held the horn in my hand with the wires hooked up and it worked FINE. As soon as I put the horn in the cover and began to tighten the bolt that holds it to the cover it started sounding sick again. Take it out FINE, put it back Sick. You mentioned in a previous post that there is an adjustment screw on the horn. I don't remember seeing one but I wasn't looking for one either. Where is it located and what does it look like. Thanks.

Look on the back of the horn if it has an adjustment screw it may be plastic be careful they like to break

Jack,
I found the adujstment screw on the back of the horn just as you said. However, I still have the same wierd problem of the horn working fine when not in the chrome cover or being held in my hand but as soon as I put it in the cover it gets "sick' again. It don't matter if it is attached to the bike or not. The adjustment did make a difference in the tone of the horn when not mounted. I read on another forum that the horn can be damaged if the mounting bolt was tightened too tight . I would agree if it were not for the fact that it works good when hand held. Any thoughts or ideas?? I hate to go pay 39 dollars at the HD place for a new horn and then have the same problem.

On the lighter side Marv, Ya shoulda pulled off and found a cool dark place to get refreshed..................guy on a knuk laughin at yer horn means, "shut er down, park in the shade" in bike lingo.
I feel yer concern bro, but ya gotta admit...."it sounds like an anemic moped with a sinus infection" that's a little on the comical side.

Back