free website stats program Daytona Bike Week 2010 | Harley Davidson Forums

Daytona Bike Week 2010

JDPEagle

My wife and I were eager to head down to Bike Week this year (our first time). After quite a bit of research, I am shocked at what I'm finding. First of all, less than 50 days before the event, most hotels don't have a clue as to any typical Bike Week arrangements (ie. Bike only parking areas, trailer/off-site parking agreements, etc.). Websites have not been updated since Bike Week 2009, and events calendars appear bare.

Secondly, they must be out of their minds with the prices that they are asking!!! Paying over $200 per night for a hotel room, that is available the week before/after Bike Week for $49/night, is craziness! :small3d023:

Granted, I've never been to Bike Week before, but I can begin to understand why I have read about Daytona Bike Week dying a slow death.

Unless someone here has any insider tips, comments, or suggestions, I might just put my pennies back into the bike instead. :53:

Can't help with the price gouging!

Been to Biketoberfest the last two years and the websites were very helpful. Hotels/parking/etc. were all fully covered. What sites are you using?

Maybe it's because Bike Week is so close to all the Speed Weeks activity. They're probably still overwhelmed taking care of all those visitors right now.

Save your money and ride down with Maysflyboy and I next October!!!

Check this site out.There is also links there to some reasonable rooms and camping if you spend the time looking.

Official Bike Week Headquarters - Daytona Beach Bike Week

I have of course been to this site. Unfortunately, it is nothing more than the Chamber of Commerce's website, and is basically a listing of it's members (along with some pretty pictures of motorcycles and sunsets). The "events calendar" is only a virtual business directory.

Biketoberfest.org has a good spreadsheet of local hotels, their rates, and general information for Bike Week (actually a great document). Unfortunately, the hotels listed are not honoring the rates that were posted on the spreadsheet (consumers beware).

Anyone else planning, or have planned, their trip to Bike Week 2010? What are your experiences?

I live about 140mi from Daytona, on the other side of the state. For the last 3 yrs I have seen vacancy signs 2 blocks off the corner of Main St. and A1A. This is during the event. I have been staying Up at Flagler Beach about 20 miles north of Daytona and because of the relocation of the Harley delearship out to the corner of I-75 and US-1, Destination Daytona, most of the vendors and traffic are to the north of Daytona Main St. There is a great camp ground in Bunnell, and plenty to do from Bunnell to the Iron Horse on US-1. There will be crowds on Main St, US-1 and Gillies to the south on 44. Try looking at the motels in the Daytona yellow pages, most are clean and as you get a little further from Main St the prices go down and they have the parking for bikes and trailers. Hope it gets warmer before you get here, be safe and watch the speed limits around the event.

There are always vacancies, but they don't budge on the price. Drive a little, save a lot. Edgewater (s.of Daytona) has a couple of clean motels that I have stayed at for reasonable $$. Expect to pay for everything (some places even have "valet" port a pots) in the "mainstream" biker venues. There are lots of bars and restaurants that still charge normal prices, you just have to look for them.

A lot of this boils down to what you consider exorbitant prices. Of course the hotels are charging more than when no events are going on - wouldn't you if you owned a motel in Daytona?

We stayed at the Hilton (pretty sure?) right about where Main Street dead ends on A1A for Biketoberfest and paid around $175 a night for 3 nights. Expensive? Oh yeah! But it was the first year bringing our wives and we didn't want to skimp.

Walking distance to everything on Main Street. Room and bar overlooking the beach/ocean. Hot tubs. Garage parking for the bikes. Really couldn't ask for anything more. I'd stay here again, even at the same price.

I guess I treat something like this as a special vacation and don't go out of my way to cut too many corners. Others may look at it as "just" going to a bike rally and want to keep costs to a minimum. To each his own!

Bottom line is it's pretty hard not to have a great time if you go, no matter where you stay or what you do.

We stayed at the Hilton (pretty sure?) right about where Main Street dead ends on A1A for Biketoberfest and paid around $175 a night for 3 nights. Expensive? Oh yeah! But it was the first year bringing our wives and we didn't want to skimp.

$175 a night!?!?! That is fantastic! I'd jump all over that, too. Unfortunately, the Hilton is asking from $385 per night over Bike Week 2010.

$175 a night!?!?! That is fantastic! I'd jump all over that, too. Unfortunately, the Hilton is asking from $385 per night over Bike Week 2010.

That's bizarre! Just did a quick Expedia check and you're absolutely correct. Rooms at the Hilton are around $290 a night during Bike Week and only $190 a night during this year's Biketoberfest. Must simply be a product of supply and demand - Bike Week must still be much bigger than Biketoberfest.

Back