free website stats program Darn Potholes! | Harley Davidson Forums

Darn Potholes!

Drew

I was on a major road, going 45-50 mph. Looking several seconds ahead. The road was uneven, I knew that. But it wasn't until I was right on it that I saw one of these road imperfections was a pretty major pothole. I didn't have time to swerve around it, so I tightened my grip, loosened my arms, and went over it. The bike stayed straight, but I was worried that the impact could have caused a flat... nope! The sporty took it like a champ. Pretty scary for me. Surprisingly, though, I didn't get freaked out. I definitley had a pucker moment, but as soon as I realized my bike wasn't damaged, I merrily continued on my ride.

I guess lesson learned was to stay in the left lane of a 4 lane road (2 lanes going both directions). I was in the right lane, and I would imagine there are more potholes in that lane than the one closer to the center of the road.

That's the second "pothole encounter" for me, but the other one was at much lower speed, on a much lower traffic street.

I feel fortunate that I weathered this as well as I did. It certainly got my attention!

regards,
Drew

Last edited:
Second worst thing for concern, first is animals running loose. Don't know which way they will turn and run, at least the potholes stay in one place. :D

I live in Michigan, where the pothole just appear under your wheels, lol. :bigsmiley14:

I live in Michigan, where the pothole just appear under your wheels, lol. :bigsmiley14:

Glad I'm not the only one! I know to look 12 seconds ahead, etc... but like I said, being able to identify the severity of these things is difficult to do before it's right under you. I am happy with how solid my xl feels going over uneven turrain.

I live in the suburbs of Chicago, but I guess any place with harsh winters has to deal with this. And as long as water continues to expand when it freezes, this will likely continue to plague bikers. I thought some of my property taxes went towards repairing these roads... but I digress.

ride often, ride safe
Drew

Be sure to inspect the tire carefully, including the sidewalls. A pinch can do some real damage.

Glad you stayed upright and that there was no serious damage!

Glider, Thanks for all your great info and for putting in the time you do to help others. Wanted to ask you about using synthetic in the primary of a 1200. Was your advice against it directed at the bigger twins or did that include the sporty's? Thanks again

Glad to help out.:s

The synthetic goes for anything that runs clutch plates in the oil. It's purpose (synthetic) is to make things slide better and stand more heat without breaking down, something you don't want to promote in the clutch because of slippage.
While it's true that some use it in the primary, the problem comes in when there is some wear on the plates, then the problem shows up.

That aint no lie i hit one going from 275 to i94 the other day in a corner an thought i left the front wheel in it as anyone knows the corner is pretty well blind and of course thats where the pothole was

Youre lucky! The people in plymouth responsible for road maintanence seem to dig potholes deliberately if theres more than a couple of meters between them!

Back