free website stats program Damage with heel shifters? | Harley Davidson Forums

Damage with heel shifters?

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay, got another question from hubby here. He has a bad left ankle, & he's caught himself changing gears with the heel shifter, but he has realized that he sometimes forgets to let up on the shifter. So, do the gears change and release immediately, or is he on the verge of causing big problems.

I know it is probably not good, but we are hoping that it isn't too damaging. He's only noticed it a few times recently when pain levels are high, but we thought we would check. Thanks!

Not a problem if he only did it on occasion but it can wear the shifter forks if it is a regular thing.

Cool, I'm glad to hear that! If he thought that he was damaging the bike, that would probably cut our already limited riding time in half. :(

So, I guess when the gear shifts, then it is basically released on the inside? (Just trying to understand a little more for me :s)

It slides the gear but if you have your foot resting on the shift lever, there's parts in contact that shouldn't be.

Good deal. Like I said, if he thought it was damaging the bike too much, he wouldn't ride most of the time. He said he just noticed that he was doing it recently, and not every time, but he was wondering how much damage he had done. Yup, we know it's not the correct way, but if it's not all the time, & it keeps him taking some short rides with me, I'll tolerate it.

Back