free website stats program D407F premature wear/cupping | Harley Davidson Forums

D407F premature wear/cupping

billyd1

Hi everybody. I've got a '09 Road King Classic with the original D407F front tire (Dunlop). It has 8300 miles on it and is showing notable cupping and excessive wear already. Dealer says "nothing we can do". Dunlop and Harley both know this tire is not right because of my dealer's own admission and the fact that Dunlop discontinued the D407F for the D408F halfway through the production year of the '09 touring models for Harley. Has anyone gotten replacements or at least some cedit toward the purchase of the D408F replacement? If so what was the content of your conversation/argument? Thanks for taking the time to read. Any help would be much appreciated and hopefully help the many others who have or will have this problem.

I remember reading about this either here or another fourm, I would call HD and dunlop directly and see what you get for results, the dealer's first response is to always blow you off. I'm sure you tried searching the forum on this. Wish I could be of more help, from your title I was going to tell you about the 408's.

Thank you for your responses gentlemen. The thread link you showed was very enlightening BIGLEW! I guess it's time to bend, pull out the wallet and open wide! :)

Took my 09 Ultra Classic in for 10,000 mile service yesterday. While waiting on the bike, head shop manager (owner's son) came out and asked me if I had time for them to change the front tire. He told me it was cupping. I said go ahead not knowing if I would be charged or not.

When I paid the invoice the tire and wheel weights were on there at no charge, replaced under warranty.

I was a little over on the mileage at 11,619 for the 10,000 mile service

Great Dealer

Tim:)

definitely change dealers..... As dakota posted here shows the different that a good dealer CAN DO.

signed....BUBBIE

Thank you for your responses gentlemen. The thread link you showed was very enlightening BIGLEW! I guess it's time to bend, pull out the wallet and open wide! :)

Not totally expensive...if your dealer opts to Prorate the usage as a good will gesture or warranty issue is applicable.

Many thanks to this site and those who posted the info on the defective tires!

After discovering this info I contacted my dealer (Vreelands HD in Bloomsburg, Pa) and even with 10,250 miles on the ticker, they were happy to take care of replacing it with the 408. No charge. Obviously some dealers are better than others.

On the other hand, I never got the letter from the mo-co explaining the problem. I had to search it out for myself which pretty much (EDIT) out loud.

Vreelands rocks!

Language is not permitted on this forum.

Please read and understand the info in this link...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
My 09 Ultra got another D407 installed at 8000 miles and did not cost me a dime. I wanted a D408 but dealer was out and I needed bike. Now have 13000 miles on bike in at dealer right now for new rear tire and they will inspect the front tire. I would not mind a new front tire for free as I know they will (EDIT) for the new rear one. What is everybody paying for installed new rear tires on the 2009 Touring bikes with ABS?

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Back