free website stats program Cycle Shack Exhaust questions | Harley Davidson Forums

Cycle Shack Exhaust questions

BOBFLHTC

Background:
I have a 85 FLHTC with the stock exhaust without baffles. The sound isn't too bad but I am losing alot of low and mid range power due to the lack of Back Pressure. I've played around some with home made baffles with limited success.

Question:
I've seen a number of recommendations on the forum for Cycle Shack slip ons. I saw a Cycle Shack exhaust for my bike that is pretty reasonable but it has Staggered dual mufflers and pipes on the right side. It eliminates the crossover head pipe and the left side muffler. All the mounting hardware is included.

It looks good but is there a downside to having both mufflers on the right side ?

Is there a performance advantage/disadvantage in eliminating the crossover pipe?

For service I use a Sear cycle jack and from the picture it looks like it will clear but has anyone had problems using a lift for this configuration ?

If you have Cycle Shack on a 1340 Evo are you happy with the sound ?

Thanks for reading and any feedback - Bob :cheers

They cycle shack is a decent muffler but look at a few baggers with the two mufflers on the right side. The balance pipe aids in scavenging and tones the sound down a bit where each cylinder is actually exiting through both mufflers. Two into two would be a bit louder than the stock setup and the stock setup properly installed may give a bit better performance because of the scavenging aspect of the system.

What happened to the stock setup baffles?...probably could measure inner pipe and get approximate length proper one...IF you like that pipe setup. As Glider said, a properly fitted exhaust with crossover tube and sufficient backpressure to restore midrange and torque should be fine with proper length and diameter baffle.

The alternative is to utilize aftermarket ones made for your bike...as there are certainly plenty of alternatives. Problem will be if state or local ordinances force you to comply with approved exhaust system (here would be a nice time to have the stock mufflers and hardware to put back on the bike for vehicle inspections and registration.

The stock baffles are welded in with the 3/4 inch caps punched out on either end. I tried putting a pair of drag pipe baffles in just to see how it would work and I got the power back but it's too quiet now. I do have a pair of stock backups in case I need them. So far the powers that be here in NJ don't seem to be enforceing any noise standards as far as I can tell. I contacted Big City to see about a pair of Thunder Monsters and they said they didn't have anything for my exhaust. The Cycle Shack exhaust I mentioned is new and represents the entire exhaust for $200 so I was tempted to give it a try.
Thanks for the feedback - Bob

Cycle shack makes a very good product at a good price been using them for years I also like to make my own baffles

Cycle shack makes a very good product at a good price been using them for years I also like to make my own baffles

I'm not an expert but I am using the Thunder Monsters from Big City Thunder and they have restored the midrange power to my 94 FLSTC with Python duels.

I bought cycle shack slip ons for my 06 FXST right after picking the bike up from the local H(undred) D(ollar) stealer. Great price, easy mounting and I love the sound. I like loud. The rear slip on has discolored after 47,000 miles. My only minor complaint. Of course you can go and spend around 4 times what I paid and have a "name" exhaust. Different strokes for different folks.

Nothing wrong with big name pipes or exhaust...for bragging rights. What really matters is how they look and sound to YOU. And yes, even if "nameless" getting them tuned along with the rest of Stage I mods is all that really comes down to..."Smiles per Mile" should be the common denominator...new math still works! :newsmile082:

I have a update on the Cycle Shack exhaust I was thinking of buying. They were listed on Ebay for 200.00 plus 22.00 for shipping which I thought was a pretty good price. The seller had a feature which I've never tried which was Make me an offer. I was thinking of offering 175.00 but I figured what the heck try 150.00 apparently the Seller had pre determined to take it so there you go. I imagine they will sound and look good but I might have to add some back pressure if I am losing too much power on the low end. Worse case they go back on Ebay as slightly used.

Thanks for the interest - Bob :cheers

No worries Bob, I have Drag Specialties straight 1 3/4" Drag Pipes with baffles I fitted to make the sound eh...manageable with my neighbors in the morning and not "rattle the windows" when I pull up at work...:lolrolling

Yeah, I lost a bit of torque (which I gained back by adding the baffles) but hey, "--Let them hear ya comin'..." :devil I am not in stealth mode riding my HD anyway...

Back