free website stats program CV carb tuning | Harley Davidson Forums

CV carb tuning

HOLY DIVER

My bike runs great but when fully up to operating temp it seems idle a touch high and its not getting the fuel mileage it should only 36mpg it's an 03 deuce. Heavy breather and pipes no other mods any advise would be much appreciated
WAP.gif

What size idle jet is in it? How many turns is the Idle screw turned out from lightly seated? Any mods to the carb like the slide being drilled out? Adjusting the idle is a simple turn of the screw.

Maybe a removal and a good inspection and cleaning is in order........

Last edited:
Bodeen asked great questions. If you have not inspected yet, it is time to pull it off and have a look. You never know, previous owner may have put a Dynojet kit in and the needle may be set too high along with too big of a slow jet. Another idea is that the enricher plunger may not be fully seating.

I just am in process of getting mine dialed in as I changed out my cam, I have mine running pretty fat right now and getting the milage you are getting, used to get 51........

man carburators are not my thing lol i might try the idle adjustment screw located on top right correct?bike runs great other than idleing a bit high

Nothin to them. You can do it. Start by looking underneath the carb toward the back and see if the idle mixture screw is exposed up in the hole. If it is take a small pocket screwdriver and turn it in, counting the turns until lightly seated. Then turn it back out to the same number of turns and let us know what you find. We'll start there. The idle speed screw is on the front side of the carb and you may get to it with a long Phillips head and the air cleaner cover off.

Bodeen has you covered with the basic idle air adjustment. With the gas mileage that low you may also want to check to make sure the enricher/choke is seating properly. Even is it feels like it is closed if it sits off the seat even a little it lets gas pass into the intake manifold.

adjusted the idle down a touch and all is good so far,i'm fixing to ride about 210 miles down to Myrtle Beach so i'm going to check the gas mileage on the open road no in town stop and go.i'll post the mileage tonight when i get down there

Back