free website stats program CV carb problem | Harley Davidson Forums

CV carb problem

nascar7613

I have an 02 Sportster with a kehin carb. I am having a problem with popping thru the carb mainly when cooler engine temp and low rpm. You can hear what sounds almost like combustion when sitting idling. I was advised to install a thunderslide kit, so I did. Now when I try to start the bike it pumps so much fuel thru the pilot jet holes in the trhoat of the carb that the bike will not idle and can bearly keep it running. I don't know what that would have to do with the thunderslide kit, probably nothing, but that is the only thing I changed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a big fan of them either, now. My main question is why is it now gushing fuel out of the ports behind the butterfly?

For what you get from a thunder slide kit or dyna kit, they are over rated and over priced too. Do as Hobbit says and return it to stock with just jetting and 2 #4 washers under the stock needle. The gushing could be the needle is stuck partially open or improperly installed kit.
Don't drill the vacuum post in the stock slide either.

Use the info in this post as a guide.

*Twin Cam CV Carb Rejet Suggestions - Harley Davidson Community

I feel like a bonehead, but the flooding problem was that the needle jet fell out of the tube, I saw it on the floor. Got the bike running, but not very well. There is fuel coming up thru where the needle goes thru the throat of the carb instead of just coming out of the little holes. Does that sound right?

I feel like a bonehead, but the flooding problem was that the needle jet fell out of the tube, I saw it on the floor. Got the bike running, but not very well. There is fuel coming up thru where the needle goes thru the throat of the carb instead of just coming out of the little holes. Does that sound right?

Yes, that is correct, when you give the bike throttle, it unseats the needle off the main jet and gives you the fuel required to match the air you are not letting in, pull the thunderslide kit out, put a number 46 slow jet in, and go 5 up on your main, leave the needle alone and the bike will run out fine, i would also have someone show you how to measure your float level, as it sounds as it may be abit high too.

Back