free website stats program cutting out | Harley Davidson Forums

cutting out

22Raptor

Have 98 ultra converted from mm to mikuni hsr 42. Bike runs excellent in morning hrs. however, in afternoon anywhere from about 85 degrees and above the bike will start cutting out around 70 mph. warped fuel line in heat shielding. running twin tec ignition module, single fire coil, ign power relay and voes. did have to build wire harness to coil, used 18g wire. appreciate any ideas of what may be causing this

Coil breakdown? Possibly, if it's the factory installed from 1998. Almost 20 years old now, and warmer weather combined with engine heat might be weakening an older OEM electrical part.

It is not uncommon for ignition modules to fail when the bike gets hot
best test is when the bike cuts out open nose cone and spray the ignition module with air duster as the air comes out very cold it will cool the ignition module if bike then starts ok you have found the cause of the problem

Brian

replaced the dual fire coil to single fire coil when converted from fuel inj to carb. ign module sits where the computer did behind the right side cover. kept the sensor asm in the cone. have about 3 thousand miles on new conversion before issue started.. if the coil or module is going bad, does not say much for Twin Tec quality. thanks for reply. sorry for not adding this additional info.

Like fin_676 said in post #3. I have had the same problem with a Dyna 2000i. I was on the way home, about 12mi., when mine started acting up. No can of cold air so took the points/ignition cover off the nose cone. That kept it cool enough to get home.
tourbox

Back