free website stats program Cutting out at highway speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Cutting out at highway speed

Denz1023

This weekend I rode about 135 miles everything was great until I started to get on they main HWY at first my bike seemed to lug down a bit so I down shifted to get up to speed. As I was riding about 70 to 75 it started to act like i had bad gas and cut out, never back fired. Then when I came to a stop it idled a little ruff and started a grinding noise but sounded like plastic not metal to metal. Got home found the left exhaust slip-on loose. Test rode the bike several times since and have not had this problem again. I can't believe that a loose exhaust would cause this problem on a 2000 EFI ultra classic which has no O2 sencors .

I have a TFI tuner and I checked all connections and everything seems fine. I have been told by some friends it could be a clucth.

I have a TFI tuner and I checked all connections and everything seems fine. I have been told by some friends it could be a clucth.

It sounds more like a lack of fuel and Maybe a bad fuel pump. I'm NOT saying to toss parts at it Just to check..

ANY Codes stored? no answer from you.

I doubt the loose exhaust slip-on had anything to do with the problems here. Betting on a fuel pump or Line in the tank, may have rubbed a hole in it. Plugged gas filter? Or the pump going out/ that goes along with the noise.

Another problem is the wiring at the Older style injectors/carb at the front of the venture area... They DO have a tendency of breaking inside the insulation and can cause this problem..(heard this many times from Chopper, Jack k and Hoople) Take off the air cleaner and wiggle the wires while running and see IF you can make it quit or Miss.

I have ONLY read and Heard about this problem on the HDT forum but am passing it on to you. I am a CARB guy myself and NO little about the injector thing. But I do know you made a good choice using the TFI..:newsmile01:

signed....BUBBIE

This weekend I rode about 135 miles everything was great until I started to get on they main HWY at first my bike seemed to lug down a bit so I down shifted to get up to speed. As I was riding about 70 to 75 it started to act like i had bad gas and cut out, never back fired. Then when I came to a stop it idled a little ruff and started a grinding noise but sounded like plastic not metal to metal. Got home found the left exhaust slip-on loose. Test rode the bike several times since and have not had this problem again. I can't believe that a loose exhaust would cause this problem on a 2000 EFI ultra classic which has no O2 sencors .

The exhaust clamp may have been rubbing the belt.

It sounds more like a lack of fuel and Maybe a bad fuel pump. I'm NOT saying to toss parts at it Just to check..

ANY Codes stored? no answer from you.

I doubt the loose exhaust slip-on had anything to do with the problems here. Betting on a fuel pump or Line in the tank, may have rubbed a hole in it. Plugged gas filter? Or the pump going out/ that goes along with the noise.

Another problem is the wiring at the Older style injectors/carb at the front of the venture area... They DO have a tendency of breaking inside the insulation and can cause this problem..(heard this many times from Chopper, Jack k and Hoople) Take off the air cleaner and wiggle the wires while running and see IF you can make it quit or Miss.

I have ONLY read and Heard about this problem on the HDT forum but am passing it on to you. I am a CARB guy myself and NO little about the injector thing. But I do know you made a good choice using the TFI..:newsmile01:

signed....BUBBIE

00-03 HD Codes And Activation - Harley Davidson Community here is a link to check for codes, as usual Bubbie has you headed in the right direction

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will be checking the wiring issue god knows I have had some of those. The grinding nosie I heard was a heat sheild ratteling.

had a problem like yours, loose slipon. exhust slipped way back, sucked air and ran rough. put new exhust bkt. cleaned front plug, all good again.........bw........ps have pc3

Thanks everyone for the tips, I will be checking the wiring issue god knows I have had some of those. The grinding nosie I heard was a heat sheild ratteling.

Glad it was the heat shield for the noise... NOW,It is sounding LESSER$$ in the problem area..
A tried remedy now would Put Fresh Gas into the tank AFTER putting in a little Sea-foam to help clean things out..

This is suggested by MANY of the Good problem shooters here and IT is EASY to do... Nothing Lost by trying.. a little Sea-foam will spruce up any bike,,,
gas-thru-out-exhaust... Good Stuff..

How many miles on your 2000.? and how long have You had it?

My 2000 fxds hot rod had over 117,000 miles on it when I traded off for My 09 FLHR in Aug of 09..
Yes, the 2010's were JUST out then but glad of the good deal given and the NO cats.

signed....BUBBIE

Back