free website stats program Cruise control install | Harley Davidson Forums

Cruise control install

CalgaryBikeBum

Well after much searching I found factory cruise control for my 2000 Roadking. I was about ready to give up because it was an old police bike then I came across a company called CruiseMount. They make up new harnesses that allow bikes that didn't have cruise to put it on. I ordered the wiring harness (200 bucks) and the complete other parts from HD and proceeded to install as per instructions. All went according to the directions and when I rolled it out of the shop headed down the road and turn cruise on.. VOILA~ worked perfectly first try. Now with my new Baker DD6 my bike is truly as new. Anyone interested in more info just let me know.

Does anybody know if the factory cruise add-on will work on a RK Police edition? Harley doesn't list the Police bike separetely in the online catalog. The controls are somewhat different. I am not sure what is changed on the handlebar controls.

Probably has to do with the switches used for the siren and other police features instead of the cruise control button positions. Nothing saying you couldn't change the switch housings to the standard issue.

CruiseMount says it will work on 2009 and earlier Roadking Police? Mine was a 2000 Roadking Police and the cruise control kit from Harley Davidson comes with the servo , clips, zip ties, and brand new handlebar switches which replace the Police switches? Only thing is that when you add this you lose the interlock for the clutch meaning the bike will start in gear if you don't have it in Neutral which the police bikes won't because they have a clutch interlock switch? I "m very happy with mine so far. :D

OOPS the url is Cruisemount motorcycle cruise control and you can read about it yourself. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate you guys responding. After posting earlier here today I went to my local dealer. Of course I got conflicting reports. Parts guy said he thought things would be ok and that the harnesses for Police and regular bikes were the same. Went out to the Service Dept. and they said that the harnesses were definately different and that wires didn't exist for connections for cruise and stuff like that. I thought that was weird but I never seem to get straight answers. Same mixed answers I got when I asked about adding exhaust pipes, air and efi downloads. One guy says pipes and download only. Says I have to use a SERT if I add the Stage 1 air filter. Other guy says all three (air filter, download and pipes) are fine together without the SERT. Holy cow! Maybe someone can help straighten this out. I am going to start a new thread on the last part of this to see if I can get some help.

I guess the real question there was whether or not to use the stage 1 air filter or not. Thats where they conflicted themselves ;) Thanks for your help

Police and regular bike harnesses are definitely not the same? Police bikes have sirens (and switches to activate) mine had a pursuit switch (No doesn't make the bike go any faster but I did try) ,extra lights, Special radio equipment,etc. The harness I bought was the cruise harness and then he tells you what to reconnect from one harness to the other for everything to work. Mine worked perfect.

Yeah, they have the one for my bike and its only $100. I was amazed, especially after the dealer told me there was absolutely no way I would ever get this to work. Thanks again.

Well after much searching I found factory cruise control for my 2000 Roadking. I was about ready to give up because it was an old police bike then I came across a company called CruiseMount. They make up new harnesses that allow bikes that didn't have cruise to put it on. I ordered the wiring harness (200 bucks) and the complete other parts from HD and proceeded to install as per instructions. All went according to the directions and when I rolled it out of the shop headed down the road and turn cruise on.. VOILA~ worked perfectly first try. Now with my new Baker DD6 my bike is truly as new. Anyone interested in more info just let me know.

Is it differant installing the cruise on a 2000 than it is on a 2007?

Back