free website stats program Crankcase full of gas | Harley Davidson Forums

Crankcase full of gas

Ez_JboroAr

Alrighty guys and gals, please dont flame me for this, but the search option did not show Harley Dyna gas in crankcase results and I figured to post here and see if I could get some input. Bit of a backstory for this one, not venting or whining just how life goes....

Have a 2001 Harley Dyna FDX. Life happened and it set for about 3 years without getting to ride. Started it once a week at first, but that stopped when the battery gave up.
Now, finally got things lined up and time to get back on 2 wheels. Replaced the battery, changed all the fluids, cleaned the tank, replaced the gas filter , cleaned the carb (about 5 times another long drawn out story), got her running, but she was ruff. Backfiring, and bucking.
Finally broke down and bought a new CV carb, put it on, and fired up ran good, but had to adjust the air/fuel screw a bit. Rode good for a few days,
Ok, now to the issue.
Bike was making an odd noise (a rattle going on that wasnt a Harley noise lol). Go to check the oil and its full.. almost to the top of the dipstick. The gas filled the crankcase.
The problem may have been caused by the old carb, but if not any ideas???
Going to change the oil tomorrow afternoon (with some cheap oil, run it for a bit and then change it again with good oil) and see if it still occurs (gas filling the crankcase).

Sorry for the long description, but figured details would help.
Thanks in advance for any input

Ez

Very well could have come from the carb. Your on track with changing the oil and retesting, report back with your findings.

If you didn't check the oil before the initial start up, it probably happened due to the float needle/seat leaking. Leaning on the jiffy stand for 3 years is plenty of time for gas to leak drop by drop into the cylinders and then the crankcase. Your plan to change oil 2x sounds good to me.

Back