free website stats program Crankcase bolt | Harley Davidson Forums

Crankcase bolt

ausibatla

Can anybody tell me what the bolt in the top of the crankcase, just below where the barrels meet and in between the cam follower covers, is for. I've never split the cases on a Harley. It is a 1990 Evo (1340). I just replace the cam follower cap bolts with stainless allen head bolts and this bolt made it a mongrel of a job. I will now try to post a photo.
Cheers.
:cheers :AUSTRALIA

Attachments

• Crankcase bolt 1.jpg
    Crankcase bolt 1.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for that mate. I don't understand how it's supposed to work but I will try to get a chrome acorn nut or something else to cover it up. I have all the Brass 44 Magnum caps coming to pretty it up a bit more and that bolt sticking out will look way out of place.
Cheers.

Thanks for that mate. I don't understand how it's supposed to work but I will try to get a chrome acorn nut or something else to cover it up. I have all the Brass 44 Magnum caps coming to pretty it up a bit more and that bolt sticking out will look way out of place.
Cheers.

HD91FLHT004.gif
# 8 in this diagram is a thru stud to keep the cases aligned and bolted together

With engine in bike would it be advisable to attempt removing bolt and nut if it is some type of stabilizing component????

Thanks for that jack. I can see what it does now but it's the first time I've come across cases with a bolt from one side to the other. Usually they are just bolted together on a center flange though it makes sense to have it there in the middle of the 'V' because without it there would be nothing to clamp the cases together between the the back and the front of both cylinders.
Cheers.

Back