free website stats program Crank runout model yr ID'ed? | Harley Davidson Forums

Crank runout model yr ID'ed?

I don't have any inside information to support my theory but everything I have read seems to indicate 2008 and up "96"' cranks are better. As long as you don't go crazy with big bores or down shifting into 1st gear at 50 MPH by mistake, you will be OK. From what I read, if you go really big bore with any HD 96 crank, you should tig weld the crank pin just for the added protection.

And since HD changed the run-out spec to .012", I would not expect to see a year or serial number spread of engines affected..

Thanks, Hoople. My bike was manufactured in 10/08 so I'm hoping all were resolved or improved by then.

Ride safe and have fun.

I ride 2008 nightrain built in august when i had 107 conversion had the crank checked.It had done 5000mls with a 103 conversion from new.The engineer found the crank runout was 5thou out of alignment he straightened the crank pinned and welded it.The diferance is very noticeable and it must have been out from new:

Back