free website stats program Cracked Swingarm | Harley Davidson Forums

Cracked Swingarm

Howdy Folks,
I have a 01 Ultra Classic that just turned 100,000 on the clock last week. I ordered new tires and was in the process of removing the rear wheel when I noticed a small crack in the swingarm above the shaft hole. After wheel removal I inspected the swingarm more throughly to find a small crack on the bottom side of the swingarm at the bottom of the shaft hole. The cracks don't appear to be going all the way through. I am hoping to remove the swingarm and have the crack welded or a fish plate welded. What is your thoughts on welding the swingarm? I have a factory H-D manual but was looking for more info on the swingarm removal. Gotta act fast, Rolling Thunder is in 3 weeks! Thanks for your help.
Ride safe,
David

HD01FLHTC031.gif
list price 575.00 for new , I would check to be sure it is true after welding, may be have dealer check it with their frame jigs?

Sure, isnt a place to take a chance IMO. Too much heat, like Jack says may distort things....

a good welder man can fix that right up. thats how they were build from the very beginning. somebody in a garge weld thought humm let me build a bike and so it was the beginning of motorcycles hahahahahaha (hey u got to have fun or else life sucks man)

a good welder man can fix that right up. thats how they were build from the very beginning. somebody in a garge weld thought humm let me build a bike and so it was the beginning of motorcycles hahahahahaha (hey u got to have fun or else life sucks man)

yah maybe a good welder man, but read the OP carefully to where the crack is.
do you really want to be welding there? :58::newsmile100::newsmile100:

I have repair welded my 00 dyna with a wire feed. Put on a 1/8" cut angle fish plate (bottom and outside)... No problem there after...

Just make sure you find a Certified welder on the process he uses... It can make a difference.:s

signed....BUBBIE

Had my own One Man Shop for about 25 years... Yes WABO certified in stick and wire feed...

Back