free website stats program Couldn't wait til Winter, WG front end finished | Harley Davidson Forums

Couldn't wait til Winter, WG front end finished

jmpancoast

Just finished the Wide Glide conversion and am posting up a few pics.

Here's a list of the parts I used:

Cass County Choppers polished 3 degree wide triple trees
Wide Glide laced 21" front wheel - used
Harley front axle 40923-06
Harley chrome WG sliders 46589-06B
Harley chrome axle spacers 41410-06
(4) 3/4" chrome spacers for fender
(4) 5/16" x 1 1/2" allen head chrome bolts and nuts for fender

I was not impressed with Cass County Choppers at all. They must be the "Earl Scheib" of custom motorcycle shops. First, they were late shipping the trees. They said they would press the stem in the lower tree before shipping, then didn't do it. The most prevalent issue, the trees did not fit. The stem was too long. When assembled, the adjustment nut would bottom out on the threads before it contacted and seated the bearings in the races. And lastly, the fork stops do not allow for use of the fork lock.

I e-mailed them about the trees not fitting correctly and was told I was doing something wrong. I called to speak with them and was told I they would call me right back. I never did get a call. I e-mailed back and forth with them, basically being told I didn't know what I was doing each time. A quote from their final e-mail before I politely told them to kiss my behind (and this was cut and pasted from the e-mail), "Use a spacer then. The frame you have must not be to the specs of a2006-2009 Dyna." Never once did they offer to replace the trees or give me a stem of correct length.

Outside of all the conflict with them, I am extremely happy with the look of the wider, raked front end.

Feedback is welcome.

John

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture.jpg

What did you do to make the T.T. fit correctly?

I ended up taking a 1" wheel spacer and grinding it down to 1/2" thickness. I installed this spacer between the star adjustment nut and the dust shield which covers the upper head bearing.

We have used many of Cass County Choppers triple trees and had no problem at all. They have always been easy to deal with and all of our triple tree projects have worked perfectly. Both on the Fatboy and also on the Dyna models. Maybe you do have something wrong or different than other stock Dyna models. If I remember correctly the fork stops are adjustable by trimming down the screws that are work as the stops. If you offered to send back the stem I bet they would replace it with a custom made stem no problem. They always were eager to help. Let me know how it works out.

We have used many of Cass County Choppers triple trees and had no problem at all. They have always been easy to deal with and all of our triple tree projects have worked perfectly. Both on the Fatboy and also on the Dyna models. Maybe you do have something wrong or different than other stock Dyna models. If I remember correctly the fork stops are adjustable by trimming down the screws that are work as the stops. If you offered to send back the stem I bet they would replace it with a custom made stem no problem. They always were eager to help. Let me know how it works out.

While I appreciate that you have had such good experiences with them, that has nothing to do with mine. I don't care if they have sold a million of these without issue. They sold me a part which would not fit a bike which they said it would. When brought to their attention, they did not try to correct the problem. They tried to avoid it with excuses and accusations.

I have had two sets of OEM trees on this bike prior to this. The first set was the factory set, which fit fine. The next set was a set from an 07 Low Rider and they fit fine. At one point or another, I have had both sets off and, as ignorant as I am, have not run into problems replacing them. The set I got from Cass County did not fit. Its not because of the bike, its not because of how I installed them. It is simply because the parts they sold me are not of correct specs for the application of which they listed them.

I attempted to talk with them over the phone, but they chose not to return my call. Even after several e-mails, they did nothing to offer anything to correct the problem. They did not offer to send a correct stem. All they did was divert the responsibility for their shortcomings elsewhere.

Please deal with them all you like. I have had my last dealings with them. I now have the desire to share my experience with as many perspective Cass County Chopper customers as possible. I understand I will not cause them to close down their business. I just want to cost them as much wasted money as they have cost me. It tickles me to death that they spent 10 fold more time responding to e-mails than they would have spent on the phone with me if they had returned my call.

I spent good money and received a faulty product and poor customer service.

The unwritten rule in business is, "If you have a satisfied customer he will tell one person. If you have an unhappy cutomer he will tell everyone!"

Back