free website stats program Could this be an electrical problem? | Harley Davidson Forums

Could this be an electrical problem?

softaildave49

I have a 2005 HD Heritage Softail Custom. It has a twin cam 88 with a big bore kit making it 95 cubic inches. It also has Vance & Hines short shot exhaust and a high flow air filter kit on it. It has 15,000 miles on it right now, and I have had it since it had 0.
I have a problem no one at HD can fix, and it has been a problem since it was brand new and has left me stranded many times over the past 6 years. Here are the symptoms:
The engine must be at full operating temperature. Also, it seems to quit running when the ambient temperature is over 95 degrees. The engine will begin popping and backfiring, it acts like an engine out of time. This lasts only a few seconds before it shuts down completely. Then, if it starts at all, it dies if you try to put any power to it. At that point, it will not run again until the engine has cooled stone cold, usually over night. Once cold, the engine will fire right up and run like a top until this phenomenon repeats itself. It could run 100 or several thousand miles before it happens again. Last time, it went 340 miles then shut down. Fired up the next day and ran around 400 miles, no break down.
Here is what HD has done to try to fix this issue:
Replaced injectors twice
Replaced coil
Rebuilt entire top end (That's why it has the big bore kit)
Replaced all fuses and relays
The problem is HD has never been able to diagnose the issue because it never does this when they have it. By the time I get it to the shop, it is running like a top and everything checks out on their diagnostics.
The engine runs strong in between the breakdowns, but the unpredictability of the bike takes the fun out of riding it. I am always anticipating the next breakdown.
If anyone has experienced this, or has a fix, I would appreciate some advice.
Thanks

Thank you for the responses. Don't know the DTC codes. Where might I find these codes?

Thanks for reply. Where is the crank position sensor located? Don't think anyone has ever checked that part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back