free website stats program Coughing | Harley Davidson Forums

Coughing

I have a 2005 heritage from the beginning it's coughed when it is cold but now it's getting worse. HD mech. re-jeted the carb and installed a high flow air filter. anyone have the same and what did you do to fix the issue.

Welcome to the Forum!

What jets are in the carb now? Could very well be a an intake leak. Could still be to lean. When does the cough occur, at idle, part throttle? How many miles on the bike? How long ago was the carb re-jetted? More info = better help.

Carb coughing or spit back is usually an indication of a lean condition
If it only happens at a particular throttle position or under specific conditions having that info can help us narrow down possible remedies
Please give us more information to work with
But do start by checking for an intake leak

Brian

The re-jet was done right after I got the bike 2005I think he said he went one size bigger. I replaced the intake seals and the MAP seal gromet. It coughs only when I start to accelerate. in like third gear. Somtimes it coughs even on the freeway going 55 to 60 mph. Idle's ok, starts ok, once warmed up runs ok.

If it does not have any problems when the engine is fully warm then I would suspect that the carb is correctly set up
With modern efi systems there are a number of sensors on the bike monitoring all the conditions of the things the will affect the fuel needs of the engine it feeds that info back to a computer that then adjusts for the correct fuel at that moment in time
A carbed bike is different it has a carb that can be set up to run well on a fully warm engine however it will be weak on a cold engine to compensate for the weak condition an enricher is fitted this is controlled by a knob on the left side of the bike
Backing off the enricher knob too early will cause a weak condition during engine warm up

Brian

I do pull out the enricher knob when it's cold but it starts making its way back in about five or seven miles out. some mornings it will still cough even though I have the enricher out. Would it help if I increase the Idle just a bit? or how do you know if the MAP sensor is working? From what I read in the manual it's critical for the engine to run correctly.
Rich

I do pull out the enricher knob when it's cold but it starts making its way back in about five or seven miles out. some mornings it will still cough even though I have the enricher out. Would it help if I increase the Idle just a bit? or how do you know if the MAP sensor is working? From what I read in the manual it's critical for the engine to run correctly.
Rich

You can snug the nut on the back side but go easy, the housing is plastic

Back