free website stats program cough through the air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

cough through the air cleaner

snowman06

I have a 06 Springer with an 88 and a Headquarters 0034 cam. When they tuned the bike it ran great and still does but now when I start it up after about 2 minutes the idle jumps around and then it will cough through the air cleaner. It's doing it a lot more recently and coughing to the point it has cut off. Once its hot it doesn't seem to do it but if it sets and cools down a bit it will start again after about 2 minutes. I've cleaned the IAC sensor and it seemed to steady the idle a little but still coughing just as bad. I rode it to the beach about 500 miles and noticed a pushrod cover leaking oil. When I checked the pushrod it had backed out and had a little play. I adjusted all of them again and then took it to my local dealer and ofcourse it ran great. They did a intake leak test charged me $45 and told me there was nothing wrong with it. It runs smooth as glass on the highway just having trouble idling. If it were a bent pushrod it would skip and stumble all the time would'nt it? If it were a fuel pump or hole in the fuel line I would have issues on the highway. I've ordered a engine temp sensor and am going to swap that out and see what happens. If the IAC sensor is going bad would it cause this? I cleaned it 3 times now and it looks brand new from what I can see of it. The check engine light has never come on and it hasn't thrown any codes and had none stored when I was at the dealer this weekend. Any ideas?

1) What are you using for a fuel enrichment.

2) When you say "I start it up after about 2 minutes the idle jumps around and then it will cough through the air cleaner" does it stall out at that time, or does it run through the intake cough.

3) I know you said there were no codes this past weekend, but have you looked on your own by doing a WOW test?

I'm using the TTS Mastertune to reprogram the ecu. There's a feature that lets you look at engine codes, idle steps and engine temps that I'm trying to run on it. This is the first time I've tried to use it. I'm going to give it a try when I get off work today. When it coughs it continues to run and it might be another minute before it does it again. It only cut off once and it was the first time I had run it since the winter. Then it didn't cough it just cut off while idling after 4 or 5 minutes. Saturday it did it when I first started it but once warmed up it ran perfect the rest of the day. Monday tried again and it started after a couple minutes.

I'm using the TTS Mastertune to reprogram the ecu. There's a feature that lets you look at engine codes, idle steps and engine temps that I'm trying to run on it. This is the first time I've tried to use it. I'm going to give it a try when I get off work today. When it coughs it continues to run and it might be another minute before it does it again. It only cut off once and it was the first time I had run it since the winter. Then it didn't cough it just cut off while idling after 4 or 5 minutes. Saturday it did it when I first started it but once warmed up it ran perfect the rest of the day. Monday tried again and it started after a couple minutes.

Have you tried cleaning the IAC? Would probably do this before jumping into messing with the TTS and warm up enrichment tables etc.

When the bike is idling where is the iac set to and how many steps is it jumping? Should be ideally around 37 and jumping should be limited.

I'm using the TTS Mastertune to reprogram the ecu.

Thought you may be SEST or piggy fueler. I can't be of much help because I am not at all familiar with the TTS Mastertune software.. Any suggestions would not be backed by experience.

The problem has gotten worse. Now after it starts and runs for 2 minutes it coughs 2 or 3 times and cuts off. It starts right back up and 1 or 2 more coughs over a minute or 2 and dies again. I used the diagnostic tool that comes with the tts mastertune that lets you watch what the computer is seeing while it's running. First time using this software and the only thing I see strange is the IAC steps. When started it begins at 61 and slowly creeps up to 78 or 80 when it coughs and cuts off. The tune thats in the bike now has the steps beginning at 55 at -16 C and they go down while warming up. Should I buy a IAC sensor? Have cleaned it 3 times. Bike shows no codes while running this software.

A couple thoughts. Fuel pump continue to run? Fuel line in the tank Leaking?

Bodeen

The problem has gotten worse. Now after it starts and runs for 2 minutes it coughs 2 or 3 times and cuts off. It starts right back up and 1 or 2 more coughs over a minute or 2 and dies again. I used the diagnostic tool that comes with the tts mastertune that lets you watch what the computer is seeing while it's running. First time using this software and the only thing I see strange is the IAC steps. When started it begins at 61 and slowly creeps up to 78 or 80 when it coughs and cuts off. The tune thats in the bike now has the steps beginning at 55 at -16 C and they go down while warming up. Should I buy a IAC sensor? Have cleaned it 3 times. Bike shows no codes while running this software.

Harley Davidson Community may be this ?

The fuel pump only runs for about 3 seconds when I switch the ignition on and when it does cut off it fires right back up as soon as I hit the button. The tank is full now and today was my worst episode yet. I will pull the fuse and see if it runs some before shutting off tomorrow. Throttle response is real crisp and it runs great on the road. The IAC steps were going up instead of down while warming up. Am I right in thinking they should go down as the bike heats up? Could another issue cause the steps to increase?

Back