free website stats program Cough back through intske | Harley Davidson Forums

Cough back through intske

Stanley Posey

I have an 03 Hertiage that has recently developed a small miss and cough back through the in take. This seems to happen at lower rpms. I have replaced fuel pump, pressure regulator, fuel filter, and injectors. Not much of a change in the problem. Any suggestion's

I sprayed some starting fluid around the intake and might have noticed just a tad bit of RPM increase but not very much I have gaskets on the way play some young

I agree with Jeff about cleaning the IAC. Usually a culprit for that and poor idle as well. Do yourself a favor though and stop spraying starting fluid on it. Not only is is flammable but it splatters and could give you false results. Plus it's bad for paint and your lungs. Get a $3 bottle of lpg gas, a torch tip and a short length of rubber hose. Unscrew the end of the torch tip and slip the hose right onto the tube. It's just as effective and much more direct and lots safer.

I agree with Jeff about cleaning the IAC. Usually a culprit for that and poor idle as well. Do yourself a favor though and stop spraying starting fluid on it. Not only is is flammable but it splatters and could give you false results. Plus it's bad for paint and your lungs. Get a $3 bottle of lpg gas, a torch tip and a short length of rubber hose. Unscrew the end of the torch tip and slip the hose right onto the tube. It's just as effective and much more direct and lots safer.
Plus,you can get the worst eye pain in your life,if the fluid ricochets off something.

I cleaned the IAC and also check my intake for leaks and didn't have any leaks and I'm still ending up with the same symptoms any other suggestions?

Possible Throttle Position Sensor? Check fuel pump pressure? I know you say it's new, did you replace hoses inside too. Can you see any swirling inside when activating pump?

If it has the convoluted liness in the tank you should replace them, they split and then air gets sucked in leading to a lean condition.
Also check the connector to the power switch, my 03 RKC had similar problems and I changed the fuel filter and convoluted lines, but while removing the apron on the tank to gain access to the fuel filter the wires to the power switch fell off as I raised the apron.

Last edited:
Back