free website stats program Correct way to use dielectric grease? | Harley Davidson Forums

Correct way to use dielectric grease?

Spade5

I have never really used this stuff and was wondering about the correct way to use it for electrical connections.

Years ago I put some inside of the spark plug boot but I thought that was more for sealing and ease of removal and not transfer voltage.

I seem to recall seeing an article where it was put on the metal parts then the wire was plugged into the connector which would seem to be just the opposite.

I have never really used this stuff and was wondering about the correct way to use it for electrical connections.

Years ago I put some inside of the spark plug boot but I thought that was more for sealing and ease of removal and not transfer voltage.

I seem to recall seeing an article where it was put on the metal parts then the wire was plugged into the connector which would seem to be just the opposite.

The dilectric grease is a high temperature silicone based grease, it is used to keep connections moisture proof and rubber parts lubricated, you can apply it directly to the metal or as you did before in side the plug wire boots, I have a can with a brush, makes applying a bit easier IMO

I use the little tubes and squeeze dabs on pins, around inner lip of connectors, etc...don't really think there's a right/wrong way so whatever works for your particular application's fine.

Jack and Iceman have you covered here, and a little goes a long way. OK Jack where did you get the stuff with the brush?

He must use the INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH stuff. Mine was always in small (relatively expensive) tubes. He must have gotten it off EBay from a company that was involved in running the cable across the English Channel! :)

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure if it was an insulator or a condutor. I ran across a small tube of it from days gone by and couldn't remember why I bought it.

I have seen people put so much on it was just a big glob. You know the usual if a little is good then a lot must be better.

I also remember years ago putting it on the back of disc brake pads on my truck so that must be the high temperature part.

Jack and Iceman have you covered here, and a little goes a long way. OK Jack where did you get the stuff with the brush?

:pHey Don, way back when my Sears Store in Mn was picked to be the pilot store for Kent Industries products, I have had the brush can ever since, I have refilled it many times with the Napa brand silglide. If you buy some cheap acid brushes like the kind you used in the military, find a can or an old Vaseline jar, poke a hole in the cap and inert your brush, It will last a long time and you have more control with the applications:D

Great idea Jack, thanks. Looks like easier cleanup too!

Great idea Jack, thanks. Looks like easier cleanup too!

:D Don, try a bit on the window channels on your car and truck, it makes it easier for the power window motors

Back