free website stats program Continental Tires | Harley Davidson Forums

Continental Tires

Butch

I'm considering a replacement brand to the Dunlops on my Ultra and wanted to get some opinions from the group (I've searched the archives and looked at the poll results - nada on Continental). A friend of mine swears by them on his bagger. Any thoughts?

I replaced the back one at the end of the season last year (a Dunlop). I've always replaced as a set or stayed within the brand. As long as the dimensions are equivalent any probs with mixing brand names?

Thanx.

Don't know exactly why Continentals are not a common option on Harleys, but one of the reasons are they were late to the "party" when Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin and later Purelli, Avon and others began "competing" in the racing arena, later migrated to HD/Cruiser retail market with their learned technology. Because of that, support and offerings will be spotty, so unless you REALLY want to use them, there are more established choices with Dunlop OEM leading the pack...as the tire polls reflect.

Don't know exactly why Continentals are not a common option on Harleys, but one of the reasons are they were late to the "party" when Dunlop, Metzler, Michelin and later Purelli, Avon and others began "competing" in the racing arena, later migrated to HD/Cruiser retail market with their learned technology. Because of that, support and offerings will be spotty, so unless you REALLY want to use them, there are more established choices with Dunlop OEM leading the pack...as the tire polls reflect.

Thanks for the input NEWHD...and some really good points to ponder too. I wasn't really surprised to see Dunlop ahead of the pack in the poll results since they are the factory tires for HD and many folks (including me) tend to stick with them at tire replacement time just 'cuz.

Hey Butch I've found it's bad to miss match tires, a tire from one manufacturer can handle different then one from another manufacture and when you're in a curve, you want both front & rear tires griping the road the same. I would run nothing but Continental's in the 60's and loved them, but tried one on my bike in the late 70's or early 80's and driving on wet roads was like driving on ice, you could not pay me enough to run one on my bike today. I've tried lots of brands over the years and have always come back to Dunlop's, there the best all round tire for mileage and handling in my book.

Hey Butch I've found it's bad to miss match tires, a tire from one manufacturer can handle different then one from another manufacture and when you're in a curve, you want both front & rear tires griping the road the same. I would run nothing but Continental's in the 60's and loved them, but tried one on my bike in the late 70's or early 80's and driving on wet roads was like driving on ice, you could not pay me enough to run one on my bike today. I've tried lots of brands over the years and have always come back to Dunlop's, there the best all round tire for mileage and handling in my book.

Thanks Chopper! I've always heard it was bad ju-ju to mix brands and wondered if it still holds true with today's technology.

I've had good times using Dunlops, although I've also run Metzlers on import bikes, like 'em and wondered it there was something out there better than Dunlops for the HD's. Yours and NewHD's Dunlop comments have clinched for me...If it ain't broke don't fix it - I'll stick with the Dunlops.

Back