free website stats program Confusing engine noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Confusing engine noise

AussieRider

My 2000 Dyna is making a slight knocking noise in the motor somewhere. Not a particularly loud noise, but very annoying. It has a new set of hydraulic lifters and adjustable push rods.
Anyone would think it's caught the shovel disease and it sounds like a valve train noise.
Any advice please.

Kind regards

You have to try to localize where the noise is coming from to start with. Take notice if it is on the left or right of the engine or in the primary up forward like a compensator noise.

Use a long screw drive and listen to the handle. It sounds and looks even stranger, but it works like a stethoscope.

OoOoO did he say Shovel disease...???:small3d031:

the problem with your bike is your not getting oil to the scavenger...in Australia they're all upside down...:newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100:

^x2 shovel's dont get diseases, they are the cure!!:D

the problem with your bike is your not getting oil to the scavenger...in Australia they're all upside down...:newsmile100::newsmile100::newsmile100:

We're well aware of that.And so is the MOCO.Did you not know that ALL bikes made for the Australian and New Zealand markets are made differently and have the oil tanks underneath?:D

Thanks very much for the humorous amongst the genuine replies. Found the problem, this prime piece of American ingenuity has, by the looks of it, loose main bearings. Probably flogged out the alloy in the cheap (edited) engineered HD cases. Anything to save a buck. I've had 9 Harleys; 3 Hardtails built here at home, thought I'd try a new Twin Cam. This may be the most disappointing. Now where is my old shovel?
Thanks anyway,
Enjoy the humor from the jokers.
Regards

[notes]
A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community
[/notes]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back