free website stats program Confused Dyno run | Harley Davidson Forums

Confused Dyno run

ausibatla

G'day fella's,
Haven't been in touch for a while 'cause everything's been OK but now need some advice.
My bike is a 1988 softail Springer (85th anniversary model) with a 1990 1340 motor. Work has been done on it and I have mentioned this before.
Both cylinders have 200PSI which means around 10:1 compression, it has a 42mm Mikuni Flat Slide carby and a free breathing Screaming Eagle Air filter. It also has an Ultima Digital single fire Ignition system with VOES set at 6.0 in/hg. Knowing this I took it in to get it dyno tuned and it came up with just 54HP. The mechanic said the Vance & Hines short shots were killing it and what I needed was a set of Freedom Performance Declaration Turnouts.
So yesterday I had him fit a new set of Turnouts and do another dyno run.
I got 56.47 HP out of it. Now he claims that it must be the cam because it runs real smooth and not like it would if it had a decent cam.
With the work that's been done I would have thought I would get at least another 10-12 HP out of it.
Do you guys think it needs a cam to bring out the ponies and if so what grind or make of cam would you suggest.
I have a picture of the dyno curve and settings but don't know how to upload it.
Cheers,
:cheers:AUSTRALIA

Have attempted to upload copies of dyno run info.
IT WORKED.

Dyno%20power%20curve_zpsgiz84wig.jpg

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss156/ausibatla/Harley%20Springer/Dyno%20run%20info_zpsmmniutq7.jpg
Cheers,
:cheers:AUSTRALIA

Last edited by a moderator:
I merged the three threads you had created and removed a post with the dyno chart and merged the title post with the dyno chart post to keep it all in one place and all make sence

Brian

I am not an Evo guy but I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Find another tuner. There is no torque graph on the chart nor is there an AFR plot; both should be shown on a dyno sheet.

2. What gear was used for the dyno pull?

3. 200psi CCP? Way high for a small bore cylinder which means aftermarket cams or severely decked heads. High CCP can make tuning, particularly with a carb, a challenge. CCP on a stock 1340 motor is 155-160, so I am suspect of the 200psi reading and suggest you check again with a know to be accurate gauge. If CCP is truly 200psi, some work has definitely been done; either heads, hi dome pistons or cams or some combination. It appears from this post that the only modifications to the motor are the carb, ignition and exhaust; none of which will enhance performance much by themselves.

4. It is going to be difficult to help you without knowing details of the motor components.

I am not an Evo guy but I have a couple of suggestions.

1. Find another tuner. There is no torque graph on the chart nor is there an AFR plot; both should be shown on a dyno sheet.

2. What gear was used for the dyno pull?

3. 200psi CCP? Way high for a small bore cylinder which means aftermarket cams or severely decked heads. High CCP can make tuning, particularly with a carb, a challenge. CCP on a stock 1340 motor is 155-160, so I am suspect of the 200psi reading and suggest you check again with a know to be accurate gauge. If CCP is truly 200psi, some work has definitely been done; either heads, hi dome pistons or cams or some combination. It appears from this post that the only modifications to the motor are the carb, ignition and exhaust; none of which will enhance performance much by themselves.

4. It is going to be difficult to help you without knowing details of the motor components.
I do have a torque chart but didn't think it was relevant. It peaks at 70.9.
The 200PSI is correct. I checked it myself and have had it checked by an authorized Harley service centre on my last service.
Cheers.

Confused dyno run - the bike

A photo of the bike in question.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Harley Decs.jpg
    Harley Decs.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 104
I do have a torque chart but didn't think it was relevant. It peaks at 70.9.
The 200PSI is correct. I checked it myself and have had it checked by an authorized Harley service centre on my last service.
Cheers.

Had an Andrews EV27 cam fitted and Dyno tuned again and it came up with 65.33 HP and 71.67 of Torque. I would have thought that with all the work it would have put out a bit more.
Any suggestions?
Cheers.
:cheers :AUSTRALIA

Attachments

• Dyno Power Curve Super Cycle.jpg
    Dyno Power Curve Super Cycle.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 8
Fuel consumption

I have a 1988 Softail Springer that has been worked a bit. I took it for a run to check out how far I would get on a (5 gallon) tank. I went onto reserve at 304 km's then ran it to empty and got 389 km's. As you can imagine I was pretty happy.
Since that test I have added a set of Declaration Turn out pipes and an Andrews EV27 cam and had it dyno tuned. I took it for a run today and only got 184 km's to reserve and 238 km's to empty.
Can anybody explain why I'm using so much fuel for so little work.
Cheers.

Re: Fuel consumption

Bigger cam more fuel and air in, exhaust flow better more power less mileage easier twisting the right wrist?

Back