free website stats program Compression release | Harley Davidson Forums

Compression release

Hello,

I have an '09 Ultra and did the 103 stage 2 about 12K ago. This summer I've been have the occasional starting problem (hot bike). I still have the stock heads on and I'm happy with the preformance but I'm thinking of putting in compression releases over the winter. My question is do you think I'm better off just putting releases in my stock heads or should I just go for something semi-performance based that already have the releases?

Thanks,
HillTown65

I dont know how your even starting the bike without them? are you sure you dont have the auto compression release? I have the manual on mine stock heads 255 cams flat top pistons,if I forget to hit them it makes a god awfull racket and most times wont start,I might be wrong but the kit comes with the ACR I didn`t use them because dealer wanted 400.00 labor extra to install them,so being cheap went manual..

Tom,

I have the same 255's in mine and believe me I know the noise you speak of, I'm going to get a quote to get them done first (HD = High Dollars). I'm leaning toward the manual ones because I've "heard" that the autos kicks out the starter if the bike doesn't start on the first pass, also I think there is less to go wrong on the maual ones. Thanks for the reply.

Regards,
Dan

Hey guys,

I too just had the 103 with 255 cams upgrade due to blow by in my air cleaner. The dealer cut me a heck of deal but that's another story. He didn't say anything about an auto compression release on mine.The only thing I have noticed is it turns over about 2 1/2 to 3 times before it fires and with the 96 it didn't take as long do you think I have that or not?

An alternative to drilling and tapping the heads is installing a high torque starter for simplicity, avoiding cost and complexity...JMHO

Im not sure if the manual compression releases can be installed with heads still on the bike,another option would be as hd74 said to install a high torque starter this is my plan when/if my starter fails..

Im not sure if the manual compression releases can be installed with heads still on the bike,another option would be as hd74 said to install a high torque starter this is my plan when/if my starter fails..

I think that is the route I'll go with also. Thanks guys.

My brother-in-law has the manual releases on his 103 ('02 Heritage Softail) and his cranks over in about 1-1 1/2 turns mine will do the same when cool -cold but on the hot bike well... I appreciate the idea on the high torque starter it looks like that's just over $200 plus shipping. My only other thought is that if I have the releases then I have less strain on the starter in any situation. Thanks for the ideas..

Dan

My brother-in-law has the manual releases on his 103 ('02 Heritage Softail) and his cranks over in about 1-1 1/2 turns mine will do the same when cool -cold but on the hot bike well... I appreciate the idea on the high torque starter it looks like that's just over $200 plus shipping. My only other thought is that if I have the releases then I have less strain on the starter in any situation. Thanks for the ideas..

Dan

Dan,

What are the mods on your bike..... are you stage ONE along with se255/103 and do you have a fueler or TFI?

I think the Hard starting when hot Might be due to a Lean condition... TFI on my bike and it starts the same Hot or Cold. Full stage ONE with SE255 cams in 96 motor but NOT the 103 flat tops Yet..

What Are the Compression ratio's offered with 103??? (answer by anybody please) I have not studied them yet. Plan to do 103 when I get the use out of my stock set-up.

Just a thought..

signed....BUBBIE

When I upgraded my previous 96" to a 103" I think the compression bumps to about 9.8:1 -10.0:1 or thereabout without any headwork. So, if you're running that much compression with the 255, you may want to consider some headwork to bring the compression down a bit and install the compression releases at the same time. Do you have any problems with pinging? I'd think you'd need your tune to be dialed in perfectly to avoid it.

Mark

Back