free website stats program Compression problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Compression problem

dogg

2011 ultra limited with 103 motor. Had Harley shop install SE 255 cams. Runs ok but sounds off. I did leak down test 3% front 4% rear. Did compression test as per book. Front 160 psi Rear 210 psi. Cams in Wrong? Bad Cams? Bad lifter? What is your guess?
Dog

there is lots of difrence 160 to 210 lbs. did you use a good battery? did you use wide open trotter on both cylinders.

No 1st hand experience from me but it sounds somewhat strange because 160 on the front sounds low and 210 on rear sounds too high. You wouldn't want 210 on both and you wouldn't want 160 on both (based on 3% leakage). I could explain the pair reading 160 & 190 or 190 & 210 but I can't easily explain 160 & 210.

If they installed adjustable pushrods so as to not have to pull the top end apart, the psuhrods mmight not be adjusted correctly.
I don't know if it would make that kind of difference though.
As long as it runs OK and the cams and valves are not noisy, it seems unlikely that there is anything wrong with the cams and lifters.

Rod

2011 ultra limited with 103 motor. Had Harley shop install SE 255 cams. Runs ok but sounds off. I did leak down test 3% front 4% rear. Did compression test as per book. Front 160 psi Rear 210 psi. Cams in Wrong? Bad Cams? Bad lifter? What is your guess?
Dog

That much variation in compression from one cylinder to the other is a symptom of the inner cam sprockets being one tooth off.

Thanks to all who responded. dolt you were right on. Front cams was retarded 1 tooth

Back