free website stats program Compensator Sprocket | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Sprocket

glider

Veteran Member
Located in the primary case and it connects the engine crank to the clutch hub via a primary chain to drive the transmission.
Usually if the comp sprocket is bad or loose, it will give you a knocking noise like a bad rod bearing. It basically absorbs the power pulses from the crank to smooth out the power transmission through the primary chain using ramps that load and unload when the piston is forced down in the power stroke. There is a spring that forces the two halves together that gets compressed on each power stroke then unloads to give you a smoother ride. In other words it takes the shock out of the drive train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Data....have you heard anything about the back up tool thats used, or the improper torque in the service manual for the Compensator Sprocket????

Ok cool..man its crazy how stuff get started...what I had heard was 75 ft. ilb plus 45 degrees from stop at 75..which meanins I would have to use a come-a-long as tall as me. and i was told something about the stair set tool was actually causing damage...I made my own when I installed my Chrome inner primary...soft wood which gave a bit but seemed to work. Stupid me can't remember what the HD tool was suppose to damage..or what the new tool is. Anyway as usual thank you so much for your quick reply.

Ok now I know and even understand...lol so its just the Dyna's....ok so some of the info I got was kinda ...sorta correct...lol Thanks again ..Your the Man!

Ok now I know and even understand...lol so its just the Dyna's....ok so some of the info I got was kinda ...sorta correct...lol Thanks again ..Your the Man!

The softails use the same tool.....not sure if it's the same part #, I'd have to go look in my book, but I think it is.:newsmile053:

Back