free website stats program Compensator Nut removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Compensator Nut removal

Mikvi

Is there a secret to this? I used heat on the nut and a 4ft breaker bar. The bike starts to lift before the nut breaks loose. Do I need to use an impact driver?

Is there a secret to this? I used heat on the nut and a 4ft breaker bar. The bike starts to lift before the nut breaks loose. Do I need to use an impact driver?

Just to clarify, you are referring to the nut that secures the compensator to the crank shaft in the primary and you are trying to loosen by turning the nut counter clockwise?? What are you using to lock the motor and clutch sprockets?

If the bike is the '01 in your avatar, the nut is probably secured with red Loctite and some heat to loosen should help removing the nut. It shouldn't be necessary to resort to an impact tool for this nut; have never had to do that. However, if heat doesn't work, a 3/4" electric impact should break it loose. Don't like using an impact because the comp nut is on the end of the crank but if that's the only way to get it off......................

I would assume you are turning the bolt the correct way, do you have the primary locked up so it does not turn? You can wedge a 2/4 between the sprockets if you do not have the proper bars, a bit of heat as dolt said helps, I too do not using an air wrench, an electric one may not hammer as hard good luck

I tried heat. I have the proper primary locking tool. I think I'm going to have to resort to an impact driver and deal with anything that comes as a result.

If you haven't already, try moving your socket so you are pushing down instead of lifting. Try an extension and step on it.

If you haven't already, try moving your socket so you are pushing down instead of lifting. Try an extension and step on it.

As Breeze says, set your socket/breaker bar/cheater so that it is to the front of the bike. Get a buddy to help stabilize the bike and then stand on the end of the cheater to put your weight x the length of the cheater/breaker bar to the compensator nut. If you weigh 150# and your breaker bar/cheater is 3 feet, you are applying about 450 ft-lbs. of torque to the compensator nut. A slight amount of "bouncing" on the end of the cheater should get 'er done!

Cheers,

TQ

I had a wee bit of trouble getting the compensator nut loose on my 94 dyna the first time I had it off I ended up using a lot of heat and an air impact wrench to get it to break free took 3 attempts with 2 of us working on the bike
On subsequent removals a wee bit of heat and a breaker bar have been sufficient

Brian

How much heat? I have a 24V impact wrench arriving tomorrow. My air one is worn out. I tried heating with a propane torch, but was concerned it wasn't hot enough.

How much heat? I have a 24V impact wrench arriving tomorrow. My air one is worn out. I tried heating with a propane torch, but was concerned it wasn't hot enough.

Hot enough to burn off some of the loctite

Never ran across a comp nut that difficult to remove. Maybe hasn't been removed since leaving the factory.

Back