free website stats program Compare Electra Glide rear tire, apples to apples | Harley Davidson Forums

Compare Electra Glide rear tire, apples to apples

cowpoke

I've seen a few posts that compared/talked about tires, but were on various bikes etc...

Rear tire:
So for this conversation, lets keep it specific to Electra Glides (with the new/heavier frame) which has the stock Dunlop 407 tire.

So for the 407 (rear tire) on the newer framed EG's, what are you getting for miles ?

And have you tried other tires and what were the results ?

I currently have 34,000 kms (21,000 miles) on my rear 407. I am waiting for the shop to call and say my new metzlers are in because I am down to the wear bars and do not like all the cupping issues with the Dunlops.

I've run the Metzlers before on another bike, liked them.

Are the ones you're getting dual compound ?
Do you expect to get the same miles from them ?

Just changed my rear OE Dunlop at 28,000 kms (~17,400 miles). It was past the wear lines with barely any tread pattern noticeable, except on the sides.

Replaced front and rear with Dunlop American Elite just because that's what I could find at a decent price.

Just changed my rear OE Dunlop at 28,000 kms (~17,400 miles). It was past the wear lines with barely any tread pattern noticeable, except on the sides.

Replaced front and rear with Dunlop American Elite just because that's what I could find at a decent price.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the decent price that you got them for? I hear they are a good tire and if the price is right I just might switch over to them when the time comes.

Got just under 11,000 miles on the rear 407 it was worn badly and into the wear bars at this milage, not sure how the other guys are getting so much more milage. Next I tried a Venom Cobra, only got 9300 miles out of it and it was warm totally bald. I hated these tires on this bike, made the bike slow to react in turns. I have installed a set of Metzelers but havent rode it much yet. If I dont like the Metzelers then I will try the new Michelin Commander 2's on it after metzlers are wore out.
This is on a 2010 Ultra Classic, 2 up most of the time.

I've got about 12,500mi. on my 2101 EGC. Rear has about 2/32 remaining. I'm getting new tires today from an indy. Dunlop American Elite. About $455.00 out the door for both.

I am at ~ 12k miles on my 407 and at 2/32. I would consider running for a while yet but I pulled a nail that had entered the tread sideways and did not cause a puncture. I decided to do the safe thing and change it out. I have ordered the Michelin Commander II. Same price as the Dunlop and supposed to have twice the mileage, better water distribution and quieter. Plus my wife will feel better knowing that it is a new tire under her.

I checked with a shop in NH since I am heading to Laconia in June. It was not a great difference in total cost to buy/install a tire here. If I rode solo I would wait and save the 50 - $60 but...

Back