free website stats program Cold Weather Riding | Harley Davidson Forums

Cold Weather Riding

FLHRC07

Well for most the weather has really changed and just wanted to speak on an issue that most will find interesting. Bought a textile Jacket and pants about a month ago, both are lined and water and wind proof. Rode into work today Air temp was 30 going 70 miles per hour wind chill right around 18. To anybody that rides in cold weather I would suggest textile over leather anyday, in my opinion blocks wind much better and do not have to layer as much as with leather. Just a T-shirt under the jacket and light thermals under the pants. If anybody else rides in this let me know how you feel as well but again to me a better opion when cold than leather. To all that do ride in the cold stay warm and most importantly stay safe.

Thermals and a good jacket truly helps, but the key is layers, as trapped air is the actual "insulator" and especially full head protection (the brain is one of the organs of the human body that uses a lot of heat and is what keeps the body alert. Generally I would wear full face helmet or leather face/neck protection if 1/2 or 3/4 helmet...and of course for those equipped, electric gear for the ultimate in warmth.

Very true to all just stated, With the Textile Jackat and Pants what was a big selling point for me was the armor in the shoulders, elbows and Back for the Jacket and the pants have the Knee armor as well, as far as being able to breath it does have air flow vents so no problem there. For going down any product with its weight will help minimize road rash, I ride witha 3/4 helmet with a face guard, I will say that having heated hand grips is a huge plus and keep the feet moving is also a must as stated. To all have a great Holiday season and great new year.

I was going to go for a spin this morning but the (EDIT)Harley wouldn't start. It's -12 here this morning. We did a little ride in october out of Redding Ca. towards Susanville. Didn't make it though. After we got to about 2500 ft elevation got down to about 32 degrees and we went about another 30 miles before we turned around. We all did OK but my hands did get cold. We had all our stuff on, chaps and extra layers with rain coat for the outer layer. Here in interior Alaska it is layers when it gets cold. We have tried leather snowmobile coats but when it dips down to -20 or colder leather starts to get stiff. We do use leather on our hands though but it still has the fur on it. Wished I would of had my beaver mits on that Redding ride.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
It got really cold here last night in Miami. 48 !! Sorry guys..lol just kidding. However it is freezing to me I am a native Miami Boy. The bike rides so much better when it gets this cool. You are right Smitty..Gotta buy that high quality leather. You get what you pay for.. Stay warm guys and gals to my North and have a very happy Holiday.

I am plugged in... anything below 40!...and smiling...of course i have a great story about a mask i wear ...Thats for another day! :swoon <==lov this guy!

i have some crushed fingers on my left hand that really talk when it gets below 40. i use a trigger finger mitten w/ hand warmer packs on the back of my hand. only wear a couple shirts, polar fleece vest, and a leather jacket. flannel lined jeans w/ chaps. toe heater packs under the toes and i'm good down to about 10 for several hours. something on the head helps under the helmet and some face fur for winter.

i have a sick pair of DC (the shoe guys) snowboard pants. they are grey denim. they are lined and have an elastic shroud that keeps wind from blowin up my pant leg. they have a zipper on the "bell bottoms" so i can easily pull them on over my boots. vented waterproof and kinda normal looking. all the pockets have glove friendly zippers. i got them at a sport chalet parking lot sale for 45 bux new. i was ready to drop 500 bux to stay warm. cant recommend them enough guys. have ridden in 20 degrees 80 miles an hour face was only cold thing

I too have all kinds of leather and the good stuff too (Vanson Leathers)they are my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!! Textile will do the trick and they sure are finally making some nice looking stuff for women !!

Back