free website stats program Clutch? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch?

jlbeebe

I'm hearing a short squeal when I am running through the gears when riding two up or getting hard on it by myself. Sounds like a loud squeak when I dump the clutch going through the gears. It's coming from in front of and on the left side of the gas tank. Any ideas?

Thanks. I notice when I wind it up and let off so the the bike is pushing against the motor and I snap the throttle it will squeal. I notice it more when my wife is on the back and I go through the gears hard. Like when I hit second gear and dump the clutch it will make a short squeal. I have never noticed this before. Thanks for the help.:)

Have you checked your belt adjustment? Have you been in the rain recently> Look at and clean the belt and check for any damage:s

From another post by gb54.

I replaced the primary chain, adj. shoe, comp sprocket and related parts and still had the noise. Mine ended up being the bearings on the transmission trapdoor. The clutch rod would wobble and grind off the snap ring that held the thrust washer and bearing on. Chasing noises isn't alot of fun. Take a look in the behind the clutch release cover.

Also gb54 mentioned his basket was warped. Might want to check that as well.
Keep us posted.
John

From another post by gb54.

I replaced the primary chain, adj. shoe, comp sprocket and related parts and still had the noise. Mine ended up being the bearings on the transmission trapdoor. The clutch rod would wobble and grind off the snap ring that held the thrust washer and bearing on. Chasing noises isn't alot of fun. Take a look in the behind the clutch release cover.

Also gb54 mentioned his basket was warped. Might want to check that as well.
Keep us posted.
John

Reading your Other post from above this posted one,,

Questions I ask all, Why so hard on the bike?

This POST of MINE IS ONLY for information Here.......... All riders are anonymous

It Sounds like you do things fairly Hard to the bike..Hard and quick snaps on the throttle?

I also wonder What tyranny lube do you use? also Primary lube?

The auto chain adjuster HAS HAD problems from this type of use.. now MIND You, I Know it is Your bike,,,,,, as I only comment here..

I have an 09 FLHR and No problems..BUT i take it easier than it sounds you do..

I don't grab-snap a Sudden amount of throttle when I come back on..Etc..

The auto adjust Is a problem that can show up from Hard Use of the motor to clutch to gear combinations.. That auto-adjuster Has Yet to prove it's self to me.. I liked the Old way of self adjusting.

Mind you, I do get ON my bike but do it a Little More Gingerly than it Sounds you do..

The lube used could be a part of the problem but the Throttle may be the most..

The snap of the throttle HAS Tightened the Auto System too tightly in a few bikes.... I have only talked with the owners (hear say) but I believe their stories and it happened about the same way as I mentioned. Jerky and throttle response.. A few from Bigger engines that Power Too Much...

Good luck with the noise as it can be many things.

TQ1 and a few others say to put a little belt dressing on and see IF that helps.. Squeaks can be annoying to find.

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:

This POST of MINE IS ONLY for information Here.......... All riders are anonymous

It Sounds like you do things fairly Hard to the bike..Hard and quick snaps on the throttle?

The auto chain adjuster HAS HAD problems from this type of use.. now MIND You, I Know it is Your bike,,,,,, as I only comment here..

The auto adjust Is a problem that can show up from Hard Use of the motor to clutch to gear combinations.. That auto-adjuster Has Yet to prove it's self to me.. I liked the Old way of self adjusting.

Mind you, I do get ON my bike but do it a Little More Gingerly than it Sounds you do..

The snap of the throttle HAS Tightened the Auto System too tightly in a few bikes.... I have only talked with the owners (hear say) but I believe their stories and it happened about the same way as I mentioned. Jerky and throttle response.. A few from Bigger engines that Power Too Much...

TQ1 and a few others say to put a little belt dressing on and see IF that helps.. Squeaks can be annoying to find.

signed....BUBBIE

Are you asking me or the OP Bubbie? Trying to figure out why you had my quote?

Are you asking me or the OP Bubbie? Trying to figure out why you had my quote?

NO, I just got confused on the post I wanted to use...(thought all from the same p)
Then thought better about it as it sounded like i was giving heck to the op. It still does..

The OP might of been running it hard to Just find the noise..

Sorry for the confusing posting.. Some of mine is good information but take it with a grain of salt..

I started confusing gb54 with the OP.,, I took the wrong quote.

My Bad.

signed....BUBBIE

NO, I just got confused on the post I wanted to use...(thought all from the same p)
Then thought better about it as it sounded like i was giving heck to the op. It still does..

The OP might of been running it hard to Just find the noise..

Sorry for the confusing posting.. Some of mine is good information but take it with a grain of salt..

I started confusing gb54 with the OP.,, I took the wrong quote.

My Bad.

signed....BUBBIE

All good. I baby my ride so thought you were asking me if I ride it hard. I don't have a lot of wrenching experience but I'm good at listening to questions and searching the forum to find an answer. Usually I'll include a link but this time I just copied what I thought was relevent info. Maybe I'll just go back to giving link so not to confuse anyone.:newsmile07:

signed....BUBBIE

I don't normally flog on my bike. I happened to notice this noise so I have been doing the snap throttle thing to try to figure out where this noise is coming from. Under my normal riding conditions it doesn't make this noise. Maybe I'll just ride normally and not worry about it but I wonder if it will get worse as the miles add up.

Back