free website stats program Clutch/tranny whine... | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch/tranny whine...

reverendjack77

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1984 FXWG Shovel. Isolated primary, 4 speed. I bought the bike with a freshly rebuilt kicker assembly. Brought it to my mech and had new head gaskets, and primary seal put in. Bike was running beautifully until yesterday. Now when I pull the clutch, I can feel a vibration in the handle and the trans makes a whining sound. It sounds like the noise the trans makes when the kick pedal is depressed when the engine is running. I thought it might be the primary chain but when I drained it, everything looked fine, no metal shavings, oil circulating freely, etc.. looked in the tranny today and realized to my horror, that my mechanic had forgotten to fill the trans. It was bone dry... Filled that and the bike is still making the noise. It runs and shifts fine, but I don't want to damage it if things in the trans are off. I ordered a manual, but I'm looking for input. Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Time to have a talk with your mechanic.....
Possibly a burnt bearing.

There are many bearings in trans. I bet a tear down maybe in order to look at all the bearings to find burnt ones..

It sounds like the mechanic should do the job on his dime being he forgot to refill it. Keep your bill for the service if he doesn't give you satisfactory results you have recourse then.

Has the mech offered to fix the problem? If you can hear the noise it's time for the mech to man up and fix it before it gets worse!

I know he'd do the work. To his defense, the kicker was rebuilt right before got the bike. I think he assumed they filled it after the work was done. He's also an hour away. I'd like to do the work myself if it's not to involved. Just want to know how complicated it might be before I dive in

I know he'd do the work. To his defense, the kicker was rebuilt right before got the bike. I think he assumed they filled it after the work was done. He's also an hour away. I'd like to do the work myself if it's not to involved. Just want to know how complicated it might be before I dive in

If you do your own work, BUY a factory manual:s

Back