free website stats program Clutch slipping question???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch slipping question????

Lang

hello all, hope everyone is having a great riding season. i have a question about my clutch. is it possible for a clutch to start slipping but not really notice right away cause it still runs ok? i have a stock clutch on my 1250 conversion and sometimes i just think i should be getting more power out of it. now sometimes it runs great and i get lots of pull but then sometimes no. it seems to flatten out a little around 4000 rpms but then still pulls after that but not as hard. ive been playing with jetting and timing slopes then it hit me, maybe its the clutch slipping a little. it seems like it does this when i get up there in rpms but if i ease into it pulls great. i also notice that sometime if i have it wound out in 2nd and shift to 3rd it wont engage and i have to shift again. can the clutch slip in higher rpm range but in the lower range its fine. can this be my clutch.... sorry so long

Sounds more like a mid and high range carb problem. My experience says that you will feel the clutch slipping in 1st and 2nd if it's slipping

To answer part of your question, yes the slippage is more noticable in higher gears.

What size jets are you using?

He is one time I would say a DYNO machine shines... It will show the slippage on the graft... usually 4/5 gears

Lots of HD's slip at the shift times and a good rider Knows how to let the clutch out....It is called "let it OUT".. not ride it. Proper clutch and cable adjustment helps here also...

A good primary oil Like MTL/spectro primary will help in the Non-slip department...

Sin 3 has has a reputation on doing the opposite and over time the clutch grabs and doesn't separate at the disc.. Several members have switched to a Different Primary lube that worked better.. I don't remember Who they were but usually New members that come in brain-washed by HD.. example: LIKE One lube for all three holes..... where did they hear that??
Not From Us...

signed....BUBBIE

Sounds more like a mid and high range carb problem. My experience says that you will feel the clutch slipping in 1st and 2nd if it's slipping

well actually sometime 1 & 2 gear feels a little weak then sometimes it feels like it wants to pull. so if its mid high range carb what would it be. too lean to rich?

Does the needle have a clip at the top with several grooves for it to fit in? If so what groove are you running it in?

Does the needle have a clip at the top with several grooves for it to fit in? If so what groove are you running it in?

no. its a stock 1200 needle they used to use in the older kehein carb before they had accelerator pumps.

You could try lifting the needle with 2 -#4 washers and it will bring the fuel in a bit sooner.

Do you have a tach and do you notice a flair up in RPM when this happens?

I run that needle in my 40mm Kehein CVO carb. and I have two .010 small brass washers under the head. Raising the needle will give you a little richer mid and high circuit.

Back