free website stats program Clutch Plate Marks | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Plate Marks

I see a lot of marks on the fiber plates dots etc.Also see that there is black on one end. Is there a certain way that the fiber plates go in? 2000 ST

I see a lot of marks on the fiber plates dots etc.Also see that there is black on one end. Is there a certain way that the fiber plates go in? 2000 ST

Don't know what you are talking about. Got any pix or more detail.

TQ

This is a stock HD clutch. Has anyone every replaced their clutch?Look at the plates.

Not a newer clutch yet, but alot of older Dry clutches had a mixture of dark colors on the friction plates I think it was an attempt at getting away from asbestos JMO:D

I have'nt found anyone that can tell me,so I will just put them in any way I can.Just seems strange that they would go to all that trouble to make marks for no reason.

Dan; Your original post stirred something in my mind about dots on the clutch friction plates. I have looked in my shovel, evo and twin cam manuals to no avail., and internet search didn't turn anything up. The only things I know to watch out for are. If the pressure plate has a mark/arrow on it, it needs to align to the one on the basket. The narrow friction disc. goes in first.
I know I used to know why the dots were on the ears of the discs.

That sounds like you may be on to something.I also noticed the markings on the clutch hub also.I have looked and asked about this and you are the first one to come up with anything.I will give that a closer look when I put it back this weekend.

That sounds like you may be on to something.I also noticed the markings on the clutch hub also.I have looked and asked about this and you are the first one to come up with anything.I will give that a closer look when I put it back this weekend.

Breeze has me thinking here, I would put the dots out facing the pressure plate JMO, markings on cage clutches put the clutch disc facing out from the flywheel and facing the pressure plate, hope this helps, Jack

Back