free website stats program Clutch Plate Adjustment Screw on 09 SG | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Plate Adjustment Screw on 09 SG

09GLDR

I was merging onto the highway yesterday, shifted 1st through 5th gear no problem. Then went to grab 6th and the clutch lever went to the grip with no pressure at all on it and the end of the cable was hanging out of the housing... I did kinda panic at first, but gathered my thoughts and worked my way onto the shoulder, chopped the throttle, and began to downshift to about 3rd, slowing it just enough to shut it off without it tossing over the handlebars. My initial thought was the cable adjustment had come loose, but not so, it was fine so I pulled the derby cover and discovered that the clutch plate adjustment screw and locknut had backed itself almost all the way out! I ran it back in and and readjusted everything and life is good. My problem is, I've been riding Harleys for 10 yrs now and have never had this happen. I have about 1300 miles on this new 09 SG. Has anybody ever had this happen to them, if so, did it happen again? Thanks for any input guys. :dknow

If you only have 1300 miles on your new baby, and if you had the dealer do your 1000 mile check, My guess would be that the tech did not tighten the locknut after doing the required adjustment.

If you only have 1300 miles on your new baby, and if you had the dealer do your 1000 mile check, My guess would be that the tech did not tighten the locknut after doing the required adjustment.
Trust me! that was the first call I made when I got home, and of course he ensured me that he tightened it, big suprise there. I'm leaning towards he didn't but just wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has had any similar incidents.

That was the only reason I could come up with. Don't know that I have ever heard of one coming loose that was tightned properly.
After all, as the miles roll by, and the clutch wears, that adjusting screw gets tighter not looser...(is that a word?):D

That was the only reason I could come up with. Don't know that I have ever heard of one coming loose that was tightned properly.
After all, as the miles roll by, and the clutch wears, that adjusting screw gets tighter not looser...(is that a word?):D
I'm with ya gs34, thats the only thing I can conger up also, and yes it's a word, just not the one you were looking for :D...Thanks buddy!

Last edited:
Have to go with the loose locknut myself and a lesson learned about doing the services yourself in the future.

Have to go with the loose locknut myself and a lesson learned about doing the services yourself in the future.

Why d'ya think my wife is trying to hide my laptop for spending so much time on this site - I'm soaking it up -learn, learn, learn.:s

My dealer was surprised to hear I worked on my own bike
and I told him I didn't buy it for you to work on. The only way to really
know your bike personally is to tear it apart yourself.

the alley mech at the shop must have left it loose. I've never had one come loose or heard of one. just another reason to wrench on your own bike.

Back