free website stats program Clutch or primary noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch or primary noise

2006FXDCI

I went on a long ride yesterday and at the end of the ride it became tough to shift thru the gears on my bike and when in neutral with the clutch lever disengaged a whirring sound is coming from my primary cover. The sound stops when i shift into gear but it makes a loud clunk, I noticed that there is a little bit of free play in my clutch lever that wasn't there at the start of the ride. Oil level is O.K. in primary is my clutch out of adjustment or is it something else, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just did the clutch adjustment per the video on the self help section, started up bike and shifted it into first gear the clanging noise has quieted a little then i shifted it into neutral and the whirring noise isnt present until I disengage the clutch lever and then it continues to make the noise even if i pull the clutch lever back in, it is now difficult to shift into second gear it grinds and clangs pretty loud.

May have to open up the primary and have a look at the clutch and tensioner.

Always adjust the clutch on a cold motor only, never hot or warm.

Thanks for the info is there anything specific I should be looking for and by tensioner do you mean the primary chain tensioner?

Just outa curiosity, what kinda oil you got in the primary? Also, how old is it?

Yes, the primary chain tensioner. If they aren't adjusted properly they can make some noises. If it isn't that I would suspect not enough free play in the clutch adjustment and the pushrod is rubbing constantly as opposed to having a clearance when not in operation (1/2 to 3/4 of a turn after lightly bottoming it out should be the spot) . After that, it's a disassemble and inspect but do as stated above and check the oil level which should be to the bottom of the clutch basket with the bike upright and level.

Remember that the clearances change as the motor heats up so always adjust a cold motor/clutch.

It has formula plus in it, I had the dealer do the 15,000 mile service on it at the end of 2008. There is 405 miles on the oil and the problem just started yesterday at the end of a poker run.

So should I back the allen head screw out more than 1/2 turn in the clutch and is there any primary chain adjustment tips in the self help section for an 06 dyna with a six speed tranny

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 6 speed should be the self adjuster, didn't pick up on that but it could be having an operational problem like a broken part in it. The 06 dynas were the first year of the 6 speeds with the self adjuster. Worth pulling the primary cover under the circumstances and having a look. As far as the clutch, back it off to the 3/4 turn out and see where it gets you for now.

Just readjusted the clutch and backed the allen out 3/4 turn the clanking when shifting into gear is definetly quieter and smoother, when i shift back into neutral the whirring noise is still there, I have noticed this noise before when i first start the bike but it goes away after a short time, but it doesn't seem to go away now. Could it be my throw out bearing?

Back