free website stats program Clutch or Neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch or Neutral

Romain

Riding daily in London I have to constantly stop at traffic lights and junctions, usually for a very short time.
I tend to squeeze the clutch and stay in 1st gear rather than engage the neutral.
A bike cop once advised that it was better to be in neutral as it would prevent a sudden release of the clutch should the bike be hit from behind.
Is that another bad habit. (see the riding one handed thread)

Issues like that are a good reason to run red lights ! :bigsmiley18:

I use the clutch ... The cop might have a point, but if I'm hit from behind, I've probably got bigger problems than what he is talking about.

The MSF course teaches you to leave the bike in 1st gear, so if something happens where you have to get out of the way more quickly.

As identified before. The bike should stay in gear (1st), and leave enough room between cars if you are not the first at the light. That way, if a car behind you doesn't stop to can move up or away from an avoidable accident. I will only put my bike in neutral when a car has already stopped behind me. Sometimes I won't do that in case a rear-end accident pushes that car into me. That is what the experts teach, that's what I recommend for safety.

Absolutely agree with the others...leave it in first and leave a path to punch out of there if a car is coming up too fast from behind. One of the few times I was not vigilant about that resulted in my being rear-ended by a cage at a stop sign. Lesson learned!

Obviously the concensus is to leave it in first with the clutch disengaged. I do this most of the time but if I'm at a light that is known to be pretty long and cars are already completely stopped behind me, I put it in neutral and give my left hand a small break. Here's the really embarassing part - don't forget to put it back into first when the light turns green! You really look uncool revving the engine, easing out the clutch, and going absolutely nowhere! Ask me how I would know such a thing. :p

Interesting thing about the theory of leaving it in first for a potential escape is that I've never met or talked to anyone who'd had to do this. I know the MSF teaches it and it makes 100% sense to me so I will continue to do so. Problem is if someone doesn't see you stopped and is coming up from behind fast enough, you may not have enough reaction time, even if you're in first with both hands on the controls. I watch my mirrors like a hawk until I'm convinced the car closing from behind is slowing/stopped.

Here's the really embarassing part - don't forget to put it back into first when the light turns green! You really look uncool revving the engine, easing out the clutch, and going absolutely nowhere! Ask me how I would know such a thing. :p

Doc how would you know such a thing? :small3d007:

sorry I couldn't resist

Obviously the concensus is to leave it in first with the clutch disengaged. I do this most of the time but if I'm at a light that is known to be pretty long and cars are already completely stopped behind me, I put it in neutral and give my left hand a small break. Here's the really embarassing part - don't forget to put it back into first when the light turns green! You really look uncool revving the engine, easing out the clutch, and going absolutely nowhere! Ask me how I would know such a thing. :p

Interesting thing about the theory of leaving it in first for a potential escape is that I've never met or talked to anyone who'd had to do this. I know the MSF teaches it and it makes 100% sense to me so I will continue to do so. Problem is if someone doesn't see you stopped and is coming up from behind fast enough, you may not have enough reaction time, even if you're in first with both hands on the controls. I watch my mirrors like a hawk until I'm convinced the car closing from behind is slowing/stopped.

Just make it look like you meant to do that.:thanks

Back