free website stats program Clutch Lever Feels Sticky In Friction Zone | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Lever Feels Sticky In Friction Zone

pdh62

I have a 2014 Heritage with 20M miles on it. I lubed the clutch cable a week or so ago. Before I lubed it and after, the lever feels sticky going in and out of the friction zone. (that's why I lubed the cable in the first place) While shifting through the gears going down the road the lever feels smooth and fluild.
I cleaned and greased the plastic pin and metal pin with the snap ring that goes through the lever. Cleaned clutch lever. Also I cleaned and greased the clutch lever perch where lever works back and forth. Used chassie grease here and PJ1 Cable Lube on the cable. Adjusted clutch cable free play at 1/8".......What is going on? Surely I do not need a new cable?
Thanks............................

Is the routing of the clutchcable right?. Maybe take out the grease in the perch, to much isn,t good either.

Gr.
Yes routing is ok.......I did put alot of grease in the perch this last time. (I tore into this issue twice) Second time I greased inside the perch more heavily.....
Maybe just put a dabb of grease in the perch where the clip on the lever rides? and lightly grease pins?

Stickiness at a particular position could indicate a frayed cable, or worn cable cover. Just a thought...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Stickiness at a particular position could indicate a frayed cable, or worn cable cover. Just a thought...

Enjoy,
Rich P
I took out the lever from the perch and degreased everything and lightly greased plastic pin and lever pin. Lightly greased in perch where the clip rides that's on the lever.....
Well feels a little better. Will take her out on a ride later to see how it feels....
Where the cable runs into the transmission (?) gear box...the protective covering on the cable is frayed but mech at the shop said was not anything to be concerned about?
Thanks for the help.....

thumbnail_IMG_0534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0532.jpg

I'm wondering what type of lube did you use on the cable if it is heat resistant, since you de-greased it and it loosened up sounds like it might be getting thick from heat. JMO I have only used MMO (marvel mystery oil) on my cables.

Back