free website stats program clutch installation question | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch installation question

Hi,boys and gals !

When I removed my starter for servicing, I noticed that one 7/36" bolt holding the clutch assembly had become loose, scratching the metal cover of the adjuster trap. At the time I have inspected the clutch, I had no idea of what I would find inside and no torque wrench neither to screw in the clutch hub bolts with the correct torque. If I remember, the right torque is 100 inch pound ( and not feet pound ). My question is: ( you can laugh here....) : when I screw in the 7/36" bolts, is the clutch spring plate supposed to turn over , or still got to be bent outward ? ( dome outward or dome inward)

Thanks

Colas

Hi,boys and gals !

When I removed my starter for servicing, I noticed that one 7/36" bolt holding the clutch assembly had become loose, scratching the metal cover of the adjuster trap. At the time I have inspected the clutch, I had no idea of what I would find inside and no torque wrench neither to screw in the clutch hub bolts with the correct torque. If I remember, the right torque is 100 inch pound ( and not feet pound ). My question is: ( you can laugh here....) : when I screw in the 7/36" bolts, is the clutch spring plate supposed to turn over , or still got to be bent outward ? ( dome outward or dome inward)

Thanks

Colas

First, 7/36" is not a size I recognize. Please check your Factory Service Manual and see what it says.

I have included the Clutch Service section from the 2003 HD Dyna Factory Service Manual. We do not have the 2002 manual in the download section, but I believe this info is applicable. The procedure addresses your questions.

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• Harley Davidson Dyna Glide Models 2003 Clutch Service.pdf
    951.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
oops sorry, it is 13/32 " , not 36, of course. thanks for the link.

Colas

in fact the clutch pressure plate bolts are 10mm, which is equivalent to 13 / 32 " .
regards

Colas

Last edited by a moderator:
in fact the clutch pressure plate bolts are 10mm, which is equivalent to 13 / 32 " .
regards

Colas

110 inch pounds, use a star pattern when tightening the bolts, the diaphragm faces down, or to the outside hope this helps, make sure it is in the groove

just to make sure, Jack : the dome side of the spring plate towards the primary cover and the dish side of the spring plate towards the clutch discs ?
best regards

Colas

just to make sure, Jack : the dome side of the spring plate towards the primary cover and the dish side of the spring plate towards the clutch discs ?
best regards

Colas

Concave side inwards (towards tranny). Right.

Cheers,

TQ

:s Yup, be sure groove for ring is clean:s

HD02FXD018.gif

Here is a picture of your clutch parts

Last edited by a moderator:
T Quentin : using the right and precise words for the right things helps a lot. I didn't know that «concave» was an english word. In french we use «concave» and the opposite «convexe» .

Cheers

Colas

T Quentin : using the right and precise words for the right things helps a lot. I didn't know that «concave» was an english word. In french we use «concave» and the opposite «convexe» .

Cheers

Colas

Same in English, but no "e" at the end. concave ) ... convex (

:)

Cheers,

TQ

Back