free website stats program Clutch hub swap | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch hub swap

bagrman

HI All

I have an 85 FLT with a sick tranny, I have located a 90 bagger style that has been freshly updated to a baker 6spd. I know that I have to get a different clutch hub, as I have progressed to a splined shaft. What I am finding on ebay is a lot of clutch hubs. Can I gut my clutch and put new hub with the old clutch parts and gears?

Thanks

Chris

I asked a question on another forum about putting a 90-93 clutch assembly on an 86 Evo, here's the reply I got....I think the guy that answered is a member here too....

The easiest thing to do is to find a late model gearset that somebody took off their bike when they put in a six speed, there are plenty of them out there, you should not pay much more than 150 bucks. Look on that well known auction site...

You could also remove your gearset and replace the mainshaft, but if you do that you must use a splined mainshaft from model 1990 only, because the `90 mainshaft fits the `90 and earlier gearsets, after that they changed some dimensions on the gears and the shafts got fatter...
The starter ring gear on the `90-`93 clutch is the same as the ring gear on the `85-`89 five speed clutches.
Hope this helps you

A 90-97 clutch hub won't fit an 85-89 basket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I will be swapping out the whole guts of the tranny so I'm good there. I have located a bagger complete clutch for a 91 so If I can get it I'm in.

Thanks
Chris

Back