free website stats program Clutch dragging | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch dragging

OTRA

I am having an issue with my 97 FLHTCI concerning the clutch/transmission. I bought it used a couple of years ago and it has 63000 miles and I don't have any records of maintenance. The problem I am having is a week or so ago the transmission was hanging up in gear. I changed the fluids in the tranny and primary and also adusted the clutch. It appeared to be OK for about 65 miles and started hanging up in gear intermitently. When I came into the garage today w:(ith the clutch fully disengaged the bike was still moving forward. Any advise will be appreciated. It acts just like some of my old cars did when the pressure plate went bad. Not familiar with bike clutches at all. Thanks in advance

Does it have the stock clutch? Has the clutch cable been replaced? It sounds like the cable may be shot. Have you tried readjusting the cable?

Double check the clutch adjustment, try this:

Harley Davidson Community

IF you still have problems with the clutch, might be more to it.:(

? what Tranny gear oil,,,, primary/clutch lube do you use?

signed....BUBBIE

Adjusted the clutch as per instructions, worked fine for about 65 miles. Don't know if the cable or clutch has been replaced. How can I rule out the cable? Thanks

======================================================

I use synthectic in both

Last edited by a moderator:
If the Free travel keeps changing after you adjust the clutch and cable, and you can hear noise or it is harder to pull the clutch in may be time for a new cable. You are adjusting the clutch cold ? What lube are you using in the primary, and this just started?

If the Free travel keeps changing after you adjust the clutch and cable, and you can hear noise or it is harder to pull the clutch in may be time for a new cable. You are adjusting the clutch cold ? What lube are you using in the primary, and this just started?

OTRA,

My bet is here as Jack says..... IF All else is correct like you say...

The cable housing Can be worn enough to make this "clutch happening".

The only cure is a new cable and housing... 1997 and 63,000 miles... The older cables are Not as long wearing if NOT lubed properly over time.

The newer ones of today are teflon coated:D

signed....BUBBIE

It doesn't make any noise and I can't tell any difference in the free play. I was using valvoline in the primary, but changed to Mobil one when this problem occured, didn't seem to make any difference. Talked to a couple of friends and they are leaning towards changing the clutch. All help appreciated. Thanks guys

Talked to a couple of friends and they are leaning towards changing the clutch. All help appreciated. Thanks guys

Sure seems like changing the clutch CABLE would be a cheaper and easier first attempt at solving the problem. Then if you DO end up having to change the clutch, at least you've got a nice, new cable to operate it!

Thanks to all for your input. The cable will be the first thing I will look into changing and then if needed the clutch itself. If santa comes through with a 2013 FLHTCU this will be someone else's problem. Again thanks for all your input. If I do the repairs I will post what action was taken to correct the problem

Back