free website stats program clutch crunch feel | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch crunch feel

sterjak

I have a 02 FLHRCI... I have 48k on it, since about 15k I have had a crunch kinda feel when you shift gears that I can feel in my clutch lever, I have adjusted the clutch & recheck it's adjustment every spring, it is and has been fine, rite within spec.... I have no clutch drag, everything works great it's just this annoying crunch feel that bugs me, it does it most of the time, some shifts it is not there, it's like you squeeze the clutch in to shift, lift the shifter with your foot and you hear the gear change as normal, the same time you feel a crunch in the clutch lever.... cable is lubed & free... no problems going into 1st at a stop or going into N.... just this crunch thing.... any idea's

All shift linkage is lubed & free. I have checked my cable at both ends, it's fine. This is to answer both questions posted.

What fluids are you using in your tranny and primary?

I would suggest a FULL synthetic gear lube in the tranny that is 75W90 or 75W140 and a GL-5. In the primary, I suggest a fit-for-purpose wet clutch/chaincase lube like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary.

See here:

Oil Suggestions For Harleys - Harley Davidson Community

http://www.spectro-oils.com/pdfs/techsheets/HD%20Primary%20Chaincase.pdf

TQ

Last edited:
I run amsoil severe gear 75-140 in the trans & amsoil 20-50 in the pri & engine.... just switched to that this season, I was using syn3 in all before but I felt that it was to thin so I switched to the amsoil... it still does the crunch feel no matter what the oil, I had thought about tring the regular primary oil once to see what happens, I was using this when I first got the bike and it didn't do it then so that was one of my thoughts... TQ I have to check out some of these other oils your sayin, I haven't heard of them before this forum.... the only thing I can say is that it is temp related, I drove to work this a.m. , temp in the mid 50s, it didn't do it once..... drove home from work, temp in the upper 70s area, it did it then, so that is it...

I think I would remove the derby cover and loosen the clutch and then remove the Transmission cover on the other side and just look and see if there was anything that didn't look right.

It might be worth giving the Spectro 6-spd a try even though it is usually overkill for the 5-spd. Also, you may wish to go back to Formula + in the primary. Worth a try. Also, confirm that your primary chain tensioner is adjusted correctly (see the manual). If none of these things work, you may need to open up the top cover on the tranny and do some adjustments, but I suggest starting with these things since they are easy to do.

TQ

Back