free website stats program Clutch Basket Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Basket Removal

JDDennison

Imabout to do it, im finnaly finding time to replace my shift shaft, but the problem is the clutch, do i need any special tools for this?

Which shaft are you talking about? Do you still have Mid shift controls? To pull the clutch basket off, no you don't need any special tools. Just remember the clutch hub nut is LEFT handed threads. The motor sprocket nut is Right handed threads.
If you are talking about the shift shaft coming out of the tranny, You have to pull the tranny out of the case to replace that shaft, then you will need special puller for the Inner race of the inner primary bearing. It is an interference press on the tranny Main shaft. And another special tool to put it back on. There is also a spacing requirement when replacing it on the shaft.
tourbox

Which shaft are you talking about? Do you still have Mid shift controls? To pull the clutch basket off, no you don't need any special tools. Just remember the clutch hub nut is LEFT handed threads. The motor sprocket nut is Right handed threads.
If you are talking about the shift shaft coming out of the tranny, You have to pull the tranny out of the case to replace that shaft, then you will need special puller for the Inner race of the inner primary bearing. It is an interference press on the tranny Main shaft. And another special tool to put it back on. There is also a spacing requirement when replacing it on the shaft.
tourbox

its the mid control shaft, thanks for the advice. i will let you know how it goes

Back