free website stats program Clutch ajustment question. | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch ajustment question.

I would just like to have some examples of when i should adjust my clutch. The manual tells me how to adjust it but not when. I just did my 1000 mile maintenance and the clutch seems to be working fine to me. You know the saying.....don't try to fix something that isn't broke. I'm just asking for some troubleshooting advice for future reference. Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

I would just like to have some examples of when i should adjust my clutch. The manual tells me how to adjust it but not when. I just did my 1000 mile maintenance and the clutch seems to be working fine to me. You know the saying.....don't try to fix something that isn't broke. I'm just asking for some troubleshooting advice for future reference. Thanks for any tips you guys can provide.

Check at 1000, 5000, every 5000 miles after, or sooner if you feel slippage or too much free travel:s

Slippage is when the clutch is not holding tight & it feels & sounds like the engine is out running the transmission.

Thanks for the reply, what exactly is clutch slippage? Does it occur while your riding?

Hopefully not, if you are running through the gears and the tach goes up but your speed does not increase you would have slippage, Keeping the clutch adjusted will eliminate this and your clutch will last many miles, remember to use a quality lube in the primary:s

Hopefully not, if you are running through the gears and the tach goes up but your speed does not increase you would have slippage, Keeping the clutch adjusted will eliminate this and your clutch will last many miles, remember to use a quality lube in the primary:s

Use a Lube approved for a wet clutch application IE... Fomula+

Unless your a rider that hammers the bike you will find that when you change primary lube is good time to adjust it. Primary on a TC is 10K service.
Other wise if it frees different to you then adjust it. after you do it a time or to it is a simple task.
But do it when bike is COLD .

+1 & be sure the jamb nut under the derby cover is tight (Don't ask me why I say that) :nosad

I think Smitty's post is a good place to start.
Again, it all depends on what type of riding you do. I mean, if you use the clutch a lot (city driving) you would expect more wear and a shorter time between adjustments. Or if you practice a lot of slow speed skills, you tend to use the friction zone of the clutch, so: more wear.

The first time I tried to adjust my clutch, I had lots of problems because I couldn't understand what "free play" meant. Now after an email from Chopper I get it, but becuase of a good bit of trial and error I had moved the adjustment screw to where the clutch WAS slipping. This let me learn what it felt like and know I know what to look for. So, whenever you go to adjust your clutch, you may want to think about turning the screw a little more. (I didn't ride around like this, but just tested it out in my garage.)

COLD adjustment only.

The 1/2 turn OUT on the adjustment bolt on center of the clutch pack Is the MOST important thing.... Anything LESS like leaving it tight to the clutch or PRESSURE IN against the clutch will allow slippage...

Never adjusting clutch properly,,Riding the clutch and-or improper lube (not wet clutched approved) will shorten clutch life.

Simple proper adjustment will show : Less Clunk. easier shifting, less friction when in gear and clutch pulled (like at a light). Less heat...

IF the Cable adjustment is correct BOTH are needed right.. Too Loose at the cable adjuster WILL cause wear between the clutch disc, hard to shift and find Neutral.
Too Tight on the cable adjustment will allow clutch slippage and wear it out....

IN EXTREME cases;

Glazing of the clutch plates is corrected by removal and cleaning (glass-bead blaster) OR replacing them.

TIME to adjust on MY bike;

Once correctly adjusted Using My BUBBIES Clutch Adjustment.
Harley Davidson Community

After 4,5 thousand miles I Check the clearance at the cable adjuster at handle-bar-clutchlever.. Keeping it at 1/16" to 1/8 " is all that is needed for several thousand miles.. Normal clutch usage will give "ME" 2 to 3 cable adjustments at the Most Before I go back and do the FULL adjustment again.. Usually full adjustment is not needed for at least 10,000 miles +...

any abnormalities in a clutch operation should be addressed as soon as possible... Not the cheapest to replace when simple Maintenance can avoid the high $$$$ repairs.:D

signed....BUBBIE

Back