free website stats program Clutch Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch Adjustment

Yes, it's important!
I let mine get sloppy for a few thousand miles, when I adjusted it she stayed tight for a short time.
Then I really noticed how much power I was losing through slippage. I had read this, but it is the doggone truth.
2013 FXDC 96" stock, so no crazy power issues.
When I picked up my Sportster last year after the heads, cam, tuner 1,200 bore work was done she started slipping immediately on the test ride. My indy put in a stronger clutch and I came back two days later and picked her up. Clutch held so well I destroyed her shortly after :)
Anyway, I would like suggestions for a clutch replacement on my FXDC. Should I go stock, or is there something a bit better without too much spring? 26,000 miles on her now.

Thanks!
Steve

OK so you let the clutch out all the way,and your losing power? I don't understand,you mean it was partially engaged the whole time?

OK so you let the clutch out all the way,and your losing power? I don't understand,you mean it was partially engaged the whole time?

James, when it is fully engaged and I accelerate hard she slips some. After I adjusted it she held under acceleration good, then after about 100 miles she started slipping under hard acceleration again. Think I might have fried the clutch? Would a solution be to add an extra plate?

Steve

The only time I had slippage after letting the clutch out completely,was with my 2007 XL883.But it wasn't a little, it was massive slippage,and not all the time.This was with 24k on the clock.Turned out the basket and everything was fried. I'm not suggesting that's the problem,just my own limited experience.I am the least mechanically inclined here,someone more experienced will surely jump in.

26,000 on it. Possibly worn plate. Are you sure you adjusted it correctly, ie, stone cold, on adjuster screw tighten until you feel it make contact and then back if off 1/2 turn, then making sure it doesn't move tighten the nut. I assume you have the 103 engine. I have heard of issues of premature wear on the 103's.
I have 33K+ on my 96" 08 softail, and it runs strong.

Back