free website stats program clutch adjustment misunderstanding | Harley Davidson Forums

clutch adjustment misunderstanding

JJDH

i read the tips on here also watched the video, let me explain, when i got my 2010 street glide the clutch lever had alot of slop in it, so i adjusted the cable ajuster close to the oil filter. there is no slipping, the operation feels fine. now since then the lever now has more slop in it, needs adjusted, now here is my confusion, if i do the adjustment inside the primary on the clutch does that take the slop out of the cable? my cable adjuster in the front seems almost maxed out, meaning not much adjustment left, when i let go of the lever it doesnt return all the way to the resting postition, it has now a good 1/2in or more of free slack in the cable. any help appreciated. will the adjutment in the primary be the solution?

How many miles since you have adjusted the cable? With a 2010, I certainly wouldn't think you should need any adjustment yet....unless something is drasticly wrong.
If you have 1/2 in. slack in the cable already, I would be returning to the dealer to have them take a look at things. Should be under warranty at this point.

It's a 2010 under warranty ---- DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER THING ON IT!!! Take it back to the dealer and show them your concerns!!!

It's a 2010 under warranty ---- DON'T TOUCH ANOTHER THING ON IT!!! Take it back to the dealer and show them your concerns!!!
i can go to them. the bike had alot of slack in the handle when they gave it to me, funny thing is their 1k service is still 250 without changing the fluids, since i have already done that.

i can go to them. the bike had alot of slack in the handle when they gave it to me, funny thing is their 1k service is still 250 without changing the fluids, since i have already done that.

Was the 1k service negot. into the purchase of the scoot - did they agree to do it for free???? a little high IMO !!! BUT - back to the clutch adj. -- take it back and let the service dept. look at it ,decide what they will , and ask to have a copy of their report - that way you have records!!

JJDH, Lets clarify....when you are saying "slop" or "slack in the handle" .What exactly do you mean?
There should be approx 1/8 in of free movement in the clutch handle where the cable joins the lever. The actual clutch engagement should have anywhere from 3/4 to an inch of free movement from being pulled flat against the grip untill it begins to allow the clutch to engage, as you are relesaing the lever.

i read the tips on here also watched the video, let me explain, when i got my 2010 street glide the clutch lever had alot of slop in it, so i adjusted the cable ajuster close to the oil filter. there is no slipping, the operation feels fine. now since then the lever now has more slop in it, needs adjusted, now here is my confusion, if i do the adjustment inside the primary on the clutch does that take the slop out of the cable? my cable adjuster in the front seems almost maxed out, meaning not much adjustment left, when i let go of the lever it doesnt return all the way to the resting postition, it has now a good 1/2in or more of free slack in the cable. any help appreciated. will the adjutment in the primary be the solution?

The way I read your post, you have about 1/2" of travel of the clutch handle after fully releasing it, and that the handle itself is not returning to fully extended on its own, right? If this is the case, something is very wrong. I agree with what has been said above. Take the bike back and have that fixed under warranty. These cables do stretch a little but NOT like that. It could be the completely wrong cable for your bike, or the cable is cut and fraying (probably at the end inside the side cover). Whatever, this is NOT normal and needs to be fixed by Harley.

TQ

I had a similar experience on my 09 and did the same with the cable. Brought it to the dealer and they fixed it along with the 1000 mile service. 5000 miles later and it's still working great. I changed the oils at 2500 and will have the dealer do the 5000 mi. in a couple of weeks. A little pricey but I bought the extended warranty and if something goes south, I want to make sure it gets fixed with the least amount of grief as possible.

The way I read your post, you have about 1/2" of travel of the clutch handle after fully releasing it, and that the handle itself is not returning to fully extended on its own, right? If this is the case, something is very wrong. I agree with what has been said above. Take the bike back and have that fixed under warranty. These cables do stretch a little but NOT like that. It could be the completely wrong cable for your bike, or the cable is cut and fraying (probably at the end inside the side cover). Whatever, this is NOT normal and needs to be fixed by Harley.

TQ
you have read the post correctly, that is what i mean, im gonna take it to them today. thanks for the advice. now does the adjustment inside the derby cover take slack out of the cable? still need to know for future reference

JJDH, Lets clarify....when you are saying "slop" or "slack in the handle" .What exactly do you mean?
There should be approx 1/8 in of free movement in the clutch handle where the cable joins the lever. The actual clutch engagement should have anywhere from 3/4 to an inch of free movement from being pulled flat against the grip untill it begins to allow the clutch to engage, as you are relesaing the lever.
slop, i mean freeplay in the handle..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are trying to adjust the clutch you need to adjust it in the primary cover.
First you need to put all the slack you can in the cable (This is a good time to disconnect the cable at the lever and lube it with dry lube) then loosen the jam nut on the clutch (11/16 nut) with a allen wrench turn the screw in until you start feeling tension, then back it out 3/4 of a turn. Hold that screw in that position and lock down the jam nut. The clutch is now adjusted. Now you need to adjust the cable. Take the slack out of the cable until you can pull the cable sheath 1/8th of a inch off of the clutch lever housing. Work the clutch a few times and recheck. Then tighten the jam nut on the cable adjuster and you done. Just remember the cable adjuster does not adjust the clutch!

Back