free website stats program Clutch adj.gone wrong somewhere, please help | Harley Davidson Forums

Clutch adj.gone wrong somewhere, please help

choptop

Decided to adjust my clutch about 2 wks back. have manual, watched video, read "by the book" and "easy way to do it"Feel that I have the clutch pac adj. correctly, my problem is that I run out of thread on cable adjuster and still have appx 1/2' free play, has gotten worse the last 4 or so times I have tried.. At 1 point I felt something give when I was sqeezing clutch lever. Their is NO adj at lever, I have taken tranny side cover off to make sure cable is connected to ramp, cable is about 1 year old, bike has about 1,500 miles since built, worked great, other than creeping in gear, before I screwed it up. About a week ago when cable was closer to adj. I would put bike in gear and nothing would happen. I am at wits end, please help. Scorpion clutch.

Decided to adjust my clutch about 2 wks back. have manual, watched video, read "by the book" and "easy way to do it"Feel that I have the clutch pac adj. correctly, my problem is that I run out of thread on cable adjuster and still have appx 1/2' free play, has gotten worse the last 4 or so times I have tried.. At 1 point I felt something give when I was sqeezing clutch lever. Their is NO adj at lever, I have taken tranny side cover off to make sure cable is connected to ramp, cable is about 1 year old, bike has about 1,500 miles since built, worked great, other than creeping in gear, before I screwed it up. About a week ago when cable was closer to adj. I would put bike in gear and nothing would happen. I am at wits end, please help. Scorpion clutch.

Colapse your adjustment to about halfway, then take your derby cover off and and loosen your lock nut at the end of your clutch pushrod and back it out. Now reach up and pull in your clutch lever until it rests against your handlebar then slowly turn your adjuster clockwise with the allen wrench and keep an eye on your clutch lever . It will start moving as you adjust and keep going until you have about 1/16 of an inch gap between the clutch perch and lever. Now hold your adjustment and lock it down with the locknut. Replace your derby cover,clean up and take it for a good ride.

Thanks, I just caame in to read your post to me, just before I came in, I had the side cover of tranny off, cable adj collapsed and was messing w/clutch adj screw when I realized the rerlashonship between the screw and the rod w/washers behind the side cover and how when you turn in the addj screw it pushes out the shaft and the washers put pressure on theramp and before I knew it my cable adjuster was working and my lever was at 1/8" . I will not test it out till after I put the Exhaust back on tomarrow but this is the best it has felt in a week.

Thanks, I just caame in to read your post to me, just before I came in, I had the side cover of tranny off, cable adj collapsed and was messing w/clutch adj screw when I realized the rerlashonship between the screw and the rod w/washers behind the side cover and how when you turn in the addj screw it pushes out the shaft and the washers put pressure on theramp and before I knew it my cable adjuster was working and my lever was at 1/8" . I will not test it out till after I put the Exhaust back on tomarrow but this is the best it has felt in a week.

Good job. I used to always leave an 1/8" gap but with aftermarket controls I found that they rattled more.
cheers Derek

Adj. cable, 1/8" play, felt like it was in gear, when on the stand, was in when I put it in gear. Put it down, started it up, put it in gear and it was like it was in nuetral. Has to be a clutch adj. I an lost.

I had a similar problem trying to adjust my clutch once. I found out that I wasn't collapsing the adjuster all the way in. It was a bit hard to make it go all the way in, but I kept working it till it went all the way together. After that I adjusted at the clutch pack like the manual says and got it to adjust right.

I suppose the threads were a little corroded or stretched from previous lockdowns on them, but it will turn all the way in.

Barnett Scorpion, appx 1500 miles, worked great before I touched it, except for a little creeping ahead, in gear w/clutch pulled in.
Followed your directions to a "T", could not get all slack out of lever, ran out of thread w/appx 1/8" play in lever, don't think that is right. On the stand, after adjustments I have 1st, neutral ,second ect.. Firm gear, if I push in first it will turn engine BUT when I pull in clutch, it DOES NOT disengage the gear. When I start the bike up and put it in gear, let out the clutch NOTHING. What could I have done to cause this ? I remember, about 2 weeks ago when I was turning in the adjustment screw I heard kind of a PING or some noise in the clutch ? The cable is not disengaged from the ramp, worked great before I touched it, will not disengage gear when up on ramp, will not give me a gear when motor is running.

Have been reading all the threads on clutch adj. The above discription is one I am sending to a guy who has been helping me out per e-mail. Any ideas, anyone

Back