free website stats program Clunking noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Clunking noise

MBHD93

In first gear, sometimes, not all the time, if I let the clutch out too fast, I hear a cluncking noise. The noise is similar to a u-joint on a car that is starting to go bad. As, I said , this noise will not happen all the time. The only other time I can make it happen is if I'm riding and back off the throttle quickly (clunk) and throttle back up quickly (clunk).

Does anyone have any suggestions before I start tearing into it. If my bike had a u-joint I'd have it fixed already :s

Thanks

Hobbit had some great suggestions.One other I'll throw out there is to take a look at the motor/Tranny mounts.The tourgue from the motor to these mounts is greatest at take off and extreme decell.

If I may, I would like to add to Hobbit's post. You might also check the drive belt tension, if it's to loose,you will get a clunking sound. Hope this helps.

Thanks. All replys are helpful and appreciated. The drive belt tension seems ok. The chain tension and fluid is ok. I recently had the primary off to replace the tranny drive sprocket. When I disasembled the compensator and clutch I had to jam a block of wood in the chain. as it was the only way to get the nuts loose with a free spinning drive sprocket. Could I have possibly damaged the primary chain? Also, when loosening the bolt on the compensator sprocket I didn't have to use much force at all to loosen the bolt. Which was very suprising. I checked the compensator assembly ( I AM NOT A MECHANIC, just a guy with a service manual and some tools), and it looked good to me. When reinstalling it, I torqued it to specs. I'm wondering if it running with considerably less torque for years and now being tightened properly could be causing the problem. Like I said, try as I may, I cannot make the clanck happen everytime. Otherwise, bike runs great. I don't mind tearing into it again, ut bI'm still not sure what I"m looking for.

I sure do appreciate the help from the peoplpe on this forum.

Back