free website stats program Clunk in first gear | Harley Davidson Forums

Clunk in first gear

Mavagrand

Alright guys, as you can see by the number of recent posts about my transmission, I'm having my yearly panic attack. :) Here's my NEW concern. From my last post you guys will recall I found a great independent shop who adjusted my clutch and performed a few other things on my bike. As he was tightening up my drive belt he mentioned there appeared to be too much "play" between in the transmission. He would grab the belt and push forward..it looked like the belt moved a little and there appeared to be a "clunk" from the primary area. He actually ran one of those small cameras into the area to check it out but couldn't get in deep enough. He could pull the belt back and forth and recreate this clunk. The belt didn't move a lot but the clunk was definite. I had the new SE compensator installed about a year ago. The mechanic finally settled on the IDS system and said the rubber bushings in there might need replacing. I've read recent posts about the bearings in transmission going out so, hence my paranoia. Also for the past couple of years, I've noticed occasionally I would hear a "clunk" or chatter from the front as i accelerate in first gear, right as I'm letting the clutch out. this noise was one of the reasons I went with the SE compensator. the noise is still there and I haven't thought about it much until I read the posts about bearings going out and I had "goop" on my magnetic plug when I changed fluids. My question...some guys have talked about "slack" in the "system" when referring to the transmission..could this "slack" account for the clunk?? Is there a simple way to if the bearings are going out in my tranny? thanx.

As he was tightening up my drive belt he mentioned there appeared to be too much "play" between in the transmission. He would grab the belt and push forward..it looked like the belt moved a little and there appeared to be a "clunk" from the primary area. He could pull the belt back and forth and recreate this clunk. The belt didn't move a lot but the clunk was definite. i The mechanic finally settled on the IDS system and said the rubber bushings in there might need replacing. .

My '08 does this even with new rubber bushings (6 in the rear pulley) I've noticed it from day 1. (49,400 miles on the bike now) I can grab the rear pulley and move it back and forth about 1/4" with the clunk in the primary. The bike has to be in neutral. There is also a memo within HDTimeline which came out a year or so after the IDS was introduced about the 1/2" play in that pulley before the pads should be replaced.

I've read recent posts about the bearings in transmission going out so, hence my paranoia.I haven't thought about it much until I read the posts about bearings going out and I had "goop" on my magnetic plug when I changed fluids. Is there a simple way to if the bearings are going out in my tranny? thanx.

My main shaft bearing in the tranny went out at 31,000 miles. I started hearing it around 28,000 when I would have the bike off and backing it in the garage. It sounded like a can of marbles from the primary area. Dealer "they all do that" .:D Finally at 31,000 it was a grinding when riding forward with engine on. Listen carefully when rolling bike around when warmed up and engine off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions:
1) What miles are on bike? 2) What service were you having done?
3) What was reason to adjust belt?
4) Is clunk heard when bike is first started cold and pulling out?
5) Have you performed the auto tensioner adjustment?Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment - Harley Davidson Community

1) I have 24k on bike. change fluids in all three holes every 5k, with synthetic (except primary Formula +)
2) took bike in to have it hooked up to a digiscanner regarding a heat issue, 3) belt was discovered loose by the mechanic who tightened it for me.
4) clunk is intermittent. i've heard it when cold and heard it when warmed up. it does seem related to "slack" in the system as it comes and goes.
5) yes, I have performed Glider's procedure several times.

3) belt was discovered loose by the mechanic who tightened it for me.
4) clunk is intermittent. i've heard it when cold and heard it when warmed up. it does seem related to "slack" in the system as it comes and goes.

The belt will tighten up after riding. I like mine on loose side (about 3/4" play when cold) and tightens up to 1/8" play after riding. Check yours before and after riding and see if I'm not correct.

The clunk has been described as "back lash in the primary chain" and has greatly improved since I put the SE Compensator in. It is still there in certain, isolated situations.

1) I have 24k on bike. change fluids in all three holes every 5k, with synthetic (except primary Formula +)
2) took bike in to have it hooked up to a digiscanner regarding a heat issue, 3) belt was discovered loose by the mechanic who tightened it for me.
5) yes, I have performed Glider's procedure several times.

IF you are using syn3 in the tranny,,,,,,, YOU ARE headed for More problems... SYN3 is a SIN. It isn't good in a tranny......

EVEN harley has re-thought that big GOOF they made by suggesting IT'S use in all three holes...

signed....BUBBIE

I'm running Mobile1 75W90 in tranny
HD Formula+ in Primary
Mobile 1 VTwin 20W50 in crank case

You might try some 75w140 with the HOT temps.. Other than that ,,,,,

Those are ALL GOOD choices,,,, Thanks for the response..

signed....BUBBIE

Back